SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
triciabobisha

Tell me what you like about your oven layout

triciabobisha
9 years ago

Starting a full kitchen reno and I've never had anything but a slide-in range so I'm sorting through the pros and cons of various layout options. Our finished kitchen will have an electric convection wall oven, combi steam oven, and microwave.

I get the whole fridge-range-sink functional triangle, but with these other guys its like a dodecahedron.

So here are a few of the questions I have, and I know mostly it will come down to personal preference. Just looking for what people love/ hate/ thought they would love but hate/ vise versa about their oven situations.

Is it beneficial to put a steam oven under the cooktop where the hood will be (do they release a lot of steam)?

If I stacked up the oven, combi, and microwave would it be crazy-low to crazy-high and crowded in holiday situations with many dishes and many cooks? Or would it be worse to dance back and forth between spread out appliances?

How much does the height really factor in for these 3 different machines? I'm thinking the combi steam will be my day to day workhorse, so I don't know if putting it down below the cooktop would be a plus (right with the range) or minus (constant bend-over-itis). Seems like it would almost be harder to lift a big turkey at waist height than from knee height, but that is one of the reasons people prefer the wall oven so maybe I'm missing something there.

Opinions on under-counter microwaves? Seems like a handy option for accessibility so kids can make their own darn quesadillas, but maybe that's a liability as well... Also is it hard to see all the way down there to watch your cheese and butter melt I mean watch your healthy food cook?

Comments (7)