SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bettegh

Ernodea Littoralis- good vine for a pool wall (14a)?

Bettina Hooper
9 years ago

1111 Lincoln Road · More Info

Anybody familiar with this vining shrub to the top left of the photo?

The back wall of the pool I am building in the VI will double as a short retaining wall for a terrace behind it. It'll be about 3.5 feet tall above the water. I'd really like to border the terrace with a shrubby vine that will grow over the wall, looking something like a waterfall. Of course, anything it drops will then go in the pool.

The wall is a WNW orientation, so full sun all day....I do not want showy (boug, mande, allamanda, pandanus et al). Asp fern would suffer too much there, firecracker (russelia) would brown in the summer and the smell of rosemary would turn some people off. I don't think the tiny leaves are a big issue, the other end of the pool is an infinity edge, so most drop will end up in the well, not the filter.

I've identified the vine as Enodea Littoralis. It is exactly what I want and 'native' to my island, but I am not familiar with it. I would like information on it; it's habits (ie: does it drop a lot? flower often?) and cultivation. Are there cultivars for landscaping use?

Is there another similar 'vining shrub' you suggest? I plan to mix in some bromeliads and vining cactus/succulents as well.

Thanks

Comment