SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ainelane

Will a banquette / built in seating fit in this space?

ainelane
9 years ago

Hello!

I am down to two layout options. One of them doesn't have enough space for my kitchen table and chairs, so I thought I may need to build a banquette thing. I don't know the first thing about this, so I'm looking for help to understand what dimensions it would need to be in order for it to be workable.

Here is the space: (sorry about my hand-drawn image. 1 square equals 1' )

-The part that has "57" written on it would be a peninsula. Ideally, I would love if this could be 30" deep (which is what size is shown on the drawing)

-The Window seat would be a new addition (I just have a regular window in that spot right now), and I can order it in any width. The interior depth would be 18". (Thanks to Scrappy25 for that info, as I'm using her window as inspiration).

-My current round table is 40" and ideally I would like to keep it. But, if you think square would fit better, I can do that.

-The vast majority of the time, it would need to seat 2 people. But I would like to be able to seat 4 even though that really only happens with houseguests and at the holidays.

My questions:

What dimensions would the built-in seat need to be? How do you account for the backrest and the cushions?

Do you think it will be possible to have it "join up" with the window seat?

Does it look to you guys like this can work in this size space or do I need to scrap this layout option?

Thank you so much for any help you can offer me!

(And please let me know if I should post this on the remodelling forum instead, I wasn't sure)

Comments (12)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!