SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
darcy_vance

Should this Ugly Duckling Raise an Eyebrow?

Darcy Vance
9 years ago

Last year we bought our Ugly Duckling on the lake. It was built in 1973 and hadn't been updated since then. With your help, we've done a ton of work to the interior (and have a ton more to do) -- but outside all we've done so far is power wash, remove the air conditioner,

replace a failing front door, paint the vinyl shutters, and have the dangerously sinking concrete stoop re-poured.

I wanted to do more work inside this year but the last time our crotchety Amish contractor was here, he pointed out flaws in the garage door opening, the gutters, the fascia ... and now the siding is falling off in spots. Since it looks like this year's remodeling budget is going to the (functional) exterior anyway, my husband and I are looking for ways to improve our home's appearance at the same time.

We both like the look and practicality of vinyl "shake" siding, possibly in a really light gray. We'd like to incorporate some sort of small seating area near the front entry to take better advantage of sunset views. We like the idea of a portico too, but here's the thing: Adding one seems like it would mean replacing the roof. And, even though it's a kind of ugly green, it was redone just a couple of years ago. Re-roofing now seems silly when we have so many other projects to complete and a limited budget to complete them with.

So. What if we did an eyebow arbor/pergola/portico kind of thing? Do you think that could work? How would we best handle the supports for it, posts or brackets? Is this idea ridiculous?

Here's a before photo of our house along with an inspiration pic I found on Pinterest. (Which has stubbornly decided to place itself up there ^^. WTH?) What do you think?

P.S. Bonus points for suggestions on ways to hide the well pump that is currently disguised as a, well, well.

Comments (29)