SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
vdinli

Raised Hearth-Builtin book cases

vdinli
15 years ago

I have the dreaded 70's brick fireplace wall with shades of orange brick. Like most of those, it comes with a raised brick hearth all across the wall. Here's an old photo-pls ignore the mess :-)

I would love to cover it up with wall board but am hesitating becoz DH likes the brick and its supposed to be a bonus feature in a house!

Here's what I would like for it to look like..in my dreams :-) Thanks, Stacy lu for the inspiration pic.

So now here's my idea..please tell me if it would look silly. I was thinking of getting a bookcase with doors at the bottom made for both sides such that they sit on top of the hearth and then cover up the hearth below these bookcases with a matching drawer front. Ofcourse, the book case would have to be "built-in" to the brick wall.

So what do you guys think? Bad idea? Ideally I would like to get the raised hearth jackhammered out of the sides leaving the center but have heard its messy and not as easy as it sounds!

I would also be painting the fireplace metal black in the near future. Forgot to get the metal primer.

TIA

Vinaya

Comments (12)