SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_7633177

Fixing a Garden Bed That Is Rotting A Shed - Siding, Joists, Moisture

User
9 years ago
last modified: 9 years ago

Hi there,

Hoping someone savvy about this can give me some good insight. My girlfriend has an 8x6 shed in her backyard that she loves. It's a frame building with a shingle roof, and all of the framing above the floor is in perfect shape. The siding is OSB, which was installed flush with the bottom of the wood skid foundation and has been wicking up moisture badly for years. Now it's finally to the point where I've noticed something has to be done, since it's crumbling and letting visible light into her shed.

I can easily remove the existing siding and put up some SmartSide, and it seems pretty obvious to me that this situation will improve if I simply don't install it flush with the earth as the previous owners did. 6" above grade (recommended by the manufacturer) will be nearly impossible since the floor joists are only 2x4s. My plan is to try to get away with 3" (better than the previous installation's 0") and install flashing underneath the drip edge since it will be in contact with the joist and might want to wick off of it.

Here's the big problem: one side of the shed has a raised garden bed that was built right up against the siding. She wants to keep this (and the bulbs that somehow survived the winter in it). I want to rip it out and get the moisture away from the shed, especially because as I dug it out this morning, I realized it's rotted halfway through the floor joist on that side of the shed. (I'm going to have to notch it out and sister new wood to try to clean it up and give me something sturdy and flush to attach siding to.) A picture of this sad situation is attached.

How do we compromise here? I need to put something in the back of the garden bed that will keep the soil away from the joist and contain the garden, but that can be in contact with the joist and siding without trapping moisture and contributing to new rot. One option might be to simply stop the siding about 6" higher on that side and install something waterproof and weather-resistant underneath it that could protect and seal off the joist, floor, and bottom plate from the soil on that side, but I don't know what would be thin/strong enough and also effective.

At the extreme end, I could actually raise the shed up, since I think it was really built too close to grade from the outset. Any ideas are welcome, because this project keeps creeping up in scale, but I want to find a way to fix it right so she'll be happy with it for a long time.

Comments (2)