SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sarahmlee44

Dacor ALL GAS (no electronics) range input

9 years ago

Hi all

Long, long, long time reader, first-time poster here. We are remodeling our kitchen at last, and after much debate we are 99% settled on the Dacor 48" all-gas self-cleaning Renaissance range. However, I want a last gut check from you wonderful people about:

1) Dacor quality and customer service, and

2) convection baking in an all-gas range.

Regarding #1 - the question of Dacor manufacturing quality and customer service - I want to point out that this range we are planning to buy has no electronics, period. No displays. No motherboards. Not even a timer. Many (all?) of the negatives I have read about Dacor have to do with the electronics, so I feel pretty comfortable about this decision... but I would still like feedback from anyone who has had similar all-gas bare bones Dacor range (or anyone else who could offer good insight).

Regarding #2 - baking in an all-gas oven - I have read that baking is better in a dual fuel. This seemed like hogwash to me -- heat is heat is heat -- and I ran the question by my physicist chef friend, who agrees. However, I now realize that the difference is in location and number of the heating elements. This range has a heating element on the bottom (and the broiler of course), plus a fan ... but not an electric heating element in the back WITH the fan, as most dual fuel ranges do. I'm an accomplished baker. Will I really see a difference? Since heat rises, it seems to me that it will naturally work to have the heat originating on the bottom and then being blown around. But will I see a difference and really wish for two heat sources (as you get with dual fuel)?

FWIW, the reasons for selecting this range are (in no particular order) -

1) No electronics. The guys at fixmyboard.com are good :) ... but we are sick and tired of dealing with buttons and electronics to run a simple oven.

2) Two giant ovens. I want two ovens and (ideally) do want to deal with a separate wall oven ... this Dacor range totally delivers. I can get two half-sheet pans on the same rack in the big oven, and even a full half-sheet pan in the little oven. Roasters, casseroles, etc. all fit well too. It's just roomy!

3) One level for all burner grates. When we started, we were looking at the Wolf range -- but with the addition of the griddle in the 48" size, you lose having your stovetop at all one level. (Griddle is something like 1/2" lower than burner grates). Thermador the same. Decor's griddle is an actual replacement for the burner grates for that portion of the oven, so you can slide pots seamlessly. (We live in California so see no sense in getting the grill instead of the griddle... sorry to rub it in your face east-coasters, but we grill outside in January).

So that's where we are, and what my small hesitations are. Would love to hear advice from anyone who feels they have some good insight to share. Thank you!

Comments (2)