SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
daisychain01_gw

How does this sound? Your thoughts on whole house plan

daisychain01
9 years ago
last modified: 9 years ago

My designer seems to be missing in action, so I need to bounce ideas off of you all. I am totally stressed about our whole house reno and have been contemplating just leaving everything exactly the same so that I don't risk making a major mistake I'll regret. But (taking deep breath) I think I will take a leap and make a minor shift in the feeling and colour scheme from what we have now.

At the moment the whole house is fairly neutral and warm in shades of gold and dark cream. My goal is to lighten things up a little and add some (minor) punch.

Here is what I'm thinking.

Kitchen:

Change kitchen cabs to a lighter brighter white (currently dark cream with glazing) and changing pulls from polished nickel to brass. Changing light fixtures from antique brass/ bronze to brighter brass. Unsure about flooring. It is currently white stained cork and flooring sales people are suggesting natural cork. This looks nice with hardwoods, but I think it will be dark overall with our black stained lower cabs and island. Thoughts?

Living/Dining Room:

Hardwoods: I am really having trouble with this. We have 3 stories and two staircases with hardwood floors. Currently they are stained a lighter golden colour that coordinates with the dark stained oak millwork, but doesn't match. I'm thinking of going a bit darker, but trying to keep a lot of gold in there rather than the dark coffee colours that have been in style for the last little while (I'm noticing a trend back to lighter floors and hate the way the dark floors in our rental show everything). The designer is pushing really dark hardwoods with contrasting lighter furniture and paint. I love this look in mags, but living with it is not so appealing.

In terms of furnishings, I'm thinking of going with a lighter linen slipcovered sofa and patterned chairs with some lightness in the pattern to tie in with the sofa. Also thinking of doing the brighter brass light fixtures here instead of the dark bronze. I'd like to keep the jute rugs as I love the natural look, but I'm also drawn to some of the wool patterns from RH.

Another major question is whether or not to paint the extensive antique oak millwork. The designer is suggesting painting some but not all. I'm kind of agreeing with her, but having trouble picturing it. I'm thinking of painting all the wide pieces in the living and dining and leaving the inside of windows stained and not painting the millwork in the hallways at all. Or maybe leaving it all stained and just painting the coffered ceiling? Agh! I can't commit to painting.

Okay, this probably more than enough info for one post and, to be honest, while I am sincerely interested in opinions part of this is just talking things through for myself rather than just having it swimming randomly around in my brain.

Comments (13)