SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
daisychain01_gw

Cabinet colour and style quandary

daisychain01
9 years ago

We are in the middle of a whole house reno due to fire and flood. We had our kitchen redone about 10 years ago, but I still love most things about it.

About half the cabs are slated to be replaced. I need to decide whether to stay with what we have currently or make a change.

Our lower cabs are dark charcoal (which I still love) and the uppers are a dark cream (I've always sort of wished I'd gone lighter/brighter white). Granite is staying (if they can get it out without breaking it) and it is a pretty calm mix of darks with some flecks of light/white.

I'm trying to decide how light to go with the uppers and whether to keep them the current shaker to match the lowers which I will likely keep, or go with something more modern like a slab door to help to update things a bit. Do people do different door styles on uppers and lowers? will it look odd? will maintenance be easier with a slab rather than having those corners to catch crud in?

Here are some (obviously post disaster) photos of what we have now. Any thoughts on layout, etc. are also much appreciated as now is the time to make changes.

Comments (16)