SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
fuzzytrees

Bare root hosta advice needed

fuzzytrees
9 years ago

So about a month ago, I was in a big-box gardening store picking up supplies, and I saw a “grab bag” box of bare root hostas. It was much cheaper per plant than buying them individually (and I am pretty broke), so I decided to get it.

Now, I did have something of an inkling that bare root plants should be put in soon after you get them, and that maybe I shouldn't be buying them when the ground was still basically frozen, but you know, cheap. I stored the box in a cool, dry place.

I decided to get them out of the box yesterday to see what was up. They are definitely alive! They did try to sprout inside the box, though. There are 2-3 spike-sprouts growing from each plant, and they're completely white and yellow, the way plants are when they try to grow without light. Some of the sprout-spikes were kind of rotten, and I cleaned off the rotten parts. The roots are sound.

What I decided to do yesterday was put the plants in containers of potting soil, and put them in bright indirect light indoors, with the idea of slowly increasing the light, and then hardening them off and putting them outdoors in their final spot in a few weeks.

But now I'm doubting that plan a little. I'm unclear on whether the white spikes will grow into viable leaves. I’m thinking that instead maybe I should cut them off as close to the crown as I can get, and then proceed to plant the roots as you would normally plant bareroot hostas, directly outdoors.

I’m on the cusp of zones 6 and 7, and the one hosta I already have in my garden has 3″ spikes coming up.

(As a side note, I am quite pleased with the varieties I got in the grab bag. 2/3 are varieties that I had admired elsewhere and would have sought out, and the third ain’t bad. None of them are plain green. This gives me further incentive to try to keep them alive.)

So, advice, opinions?

Comments (20)