SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
katyajini

Bare root hosta, fern and bleeding heart...

katyajini
4 years ago

I just bought a few hostas, ferns and bleeding hearts on sale from Longfield Gardens. They are sold bare root and as 2 or 3 count per bag.

Such as:

https://www.longfield-gardens.com/plantname/Hosta-Big-Daddy

https://www.longfield-gardens.com/plantname/Hosta-Bressingham-Blue

https://www.longfield-gardens.com/plantname/Fern-Leatherwood

What does this mean? 1 count = 1 bare root eye of hosta? (or fern or bleeding heart?)

Can I just plant these 2 inches deep in potting soil in a pot and wait for them to emerge? Or till I am ready to plant them in soil? What size pot is best? One gallon? Quart?

When you get a bare root hosta (or fern etc) such as these are you one year or two years behind a hosta sold in a small pot? Or not that much?

Thank you so much!

Comments (19)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    4 years ago

more later ...

they are not bulbs ....you would plant them in pots ... with the roots fully extended down into the pot.. with the eyes basically at soil level ...

what you get would depend on what you pay.. and the seller sends .. it can vary all over the place ... we have had many discussions on our favored sellers ...

many nurseries received bare root stock 3 or 4 months before spring sale.. and simply potted them up. and forced them early for sale at local nurseries ... that is probably what you see locally this time of year ...

ken

katyajini thanked ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
  • Related Discussions

Wanted: fern leaf bleeding heart, cinnamon fern

Q

Comments (1)
    Hello... I have a cinnamon fern in my yard that is gonna be going. would love to trade you for something. What kind of honeysuckle do you have - if you know. mel
    ...See More

How do you plant a Bleeding Heart bare root?

Q

Comments (4)
    Boy Chris, I don't know specifically but I bet you want to get them in the ground pretty soon so since nobody else has posted yet I give a stab at it. Pretty much all of my bareroot perennials get the same treatment- dig a hole;build a soil cone in the middle of it, spread the roots around the soil cone while holding the neck of the plant, then fill in the soil around the plant keeping the crown of the plant about soil level, water well and wait. My bleeding hearts reseed like crazy and babies come up all around so they can't be too fussy of a plant. I would probably soak the roots for a little while in water before I planted it just to rehydrate them a little too. Good luck
    ...See More

Bare root bleeding hearts

Q

Comments (1)
    if you have a bunch.. i would 'store' some in a friends garden .. in the ground .. come retrieve them next spring ... and i would pot some ... and keep them somewhere where they will stay dormant all winter [north side of a structure] ... have you ever dug one??? .. the link will show you the potential ... depending on what you have .... i am not sure it is worth the effort??? ken Here is a link that might be useful: link
    ...See More

Best way to plant bare root bleeding hearts

Q

Comments (9)
    i would return them.. then get some therapy about my spring fever .. lol .. anyway ... i have some large pots .. i would pot them all into one pot of damp media... and put them in the garage ... hoping to keep them cold enough to not sprout much more ... maybe drag them in the basement if a cold snap set in .... its unfortunate.. being in the store.. they broke dormancy ... how warm does your attached garage get on sunny days ...???? ken
    ...See More
  • callirhoe123
    4 years ago

You can plant them in the ground if that is their ultimate destination. Just leave room for their eventual size.

katyajini thanked callirhoe123
    4 years ago

btw .. hosta can take 3 to 5 to 7 years to mature ...

and in my experience.. big daddy was one of the slowest .. [and i am sure.. having said that.. someone will chime i.. its the fastest plant they ever grew.. lol]

the plant in your first link is at least 3 to 4 years old .. and even more.. if they started with the tiny divisions they show there.. it might even be older .... and we really dont know if those represent this actual hosta.. they all look the same dormant ...

if you want a bigger plant faster.. you would order and pay for a bigger plant .. and have it mail ordered to your house.. bare root ..

ken

4 years ago

yes.. plant them directly into the garden .. presuming you arent so far north. that the soil is still cold ...

they can be grown successfully in pots ... but dont mess with pots if you dont have to .. thats a different hobby ...

ken

• katyajini
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Oh thank you so much folks! I think I get it.

bkay: and I thought I was getting such a good deal, three hostas for such a small price. so i should put the three eyes at the three points of a triangle right? and about 1 or 2 inches apart or 18 to 20 inches apart if you want it to grow out and look like a lush big plant eventully?

ken: I only asked about potting because the area I want these to go is not quite ready yet but will be soon. Meanwhile they can do their thing in a pot..I gather potting them for a short while is not going to hurt. Good to know they want to be a little pot bound.

Thank you again!

• MadPlanter1 zone 5
    4 years ago

What you get might depend on how reliable your source is. Several years ago I bought 6 bare root Twilight, planning to donate them to the local plant sale. They turned out to be white edged 6 foot monsters and stayed in the garden for years until I needed room. I'm pretty sure they're Fortunei Albomarginata, but they got donated as NO ID.

On the other hand, I've had good luck with ferns and bleeding heart.

katyajini thanked MadPlanter1 zone 5
  • dhaven
    4 years ago

You might want to consider the mature size when you plant. Both these varieties of hosta will mature around 5-6 feet across, and 28-36 inches tall. You should plant accordingly, allowing a lot of space between each plant. If you plant these together in on small area, you should plan to move two of each three before they mature. Digging out a very large mature hosta is quite a job, so you might want to find separate spots for each plant.

katyajini thanked dhaven
  • katyajini
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you madPlanter and dhaven for your thoughtful comments!

madplanter: the bleeding heart and ferns i ordered also say 3 count per bag. Am I supposed to plant these close together to have a decent sized plant or each bare root piece can be planted separately to become an individual plant?

https://www.longfield-gardens.com/plantname/Dicentra-Spectabilis

The picture of the bleeding heart at the borders edge looks very appealing. Would you say that plant is from one or several bare root? Thanks<3

dhaven: I was thinking what you are saying...I think I will go ahead and put the big hostas one per spot...one can always add too.thanks

• roxanna7
    4 years ago

katy, just a heads-up about the bleeding hearts, which I adore -- they can get enormous eventually, and quite quickly (after a year or two). My pink one as shown in the photo has been here for more than 20 years and spread to be a cubic foot in volume, or more - 3ft x 3ft x 3ft. Wish my white one was as vigorous...

Yes, it does - and yours will - leave a large vacant spot in the garden when it finally goes dormant, altho mine does not do that until August here in Central Massachusetts. (At that point, I buy autumn pots of chrysanthemums and just plop them over the bare space)

So if I were you, I'd plant the three bleeding hearts separately and not too close to the edge of the garden. Put annuals around it to fill in, if you want.

Oh, and my bleeding hearts manage to survive in full sun from 10 am - 2 pm just fine. Don't know why, but IMO they will take more sun than often is advised. I do water them when I remember!

katyajini thanked roxanna7
  • dhaven
    4 years ago

Agree with roxanna, bleeding hearts get large very quickly. I planted a few small divisions in pure compost 2 years ago, and had to move them that fall. Oddly enough, my pink bleeding heart plants don't do the August disappearing act, they stay until the first frost. The white ones do go dormant by late September.

Bleeding hearts can take full sun if they are watered adequately, and will also do okay in almost full shade. The gold leafed varieties do tend to burn in full sun, and as a general rule the white flowering varieties prefer light shade. They go very nicely with hostas, astilbes, and ferns.

katyajini thanked dhaven
  • MadPlanter1 zone 5
    4 years ago

They do take up space. I try to plant something ( like a big hosta (-; ) nearby. By the time it gets nice and leafed out, the bleeding heart is fading anyhow. For example, my biggest BH is planted at the back of the border behind Abiqua Drinking Gourd. ADG is pretty small right now and the bleeding heart is the star of the show. In two months, ADG will almostly completely hide it.

Love Gold Heart bleeding heart for it's gold color, and am hunting for White Heart, too. I'd post a photo, but it has a lot of frost damage. A week of temps in the low 20's damaged a lot of stuff this year, not Gold Heart's fault. It's as hardy as any other BH.

katyajini thanked MadPlanter1 zone 5
  • katyajini
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks so much forum friends...takes most of my confusion out!

roxanna: so good to know that they grow big so quickly...!! This is going to be lovely. I was thinking of my shadier areas but I will give some thought to sunnier areas knowing BH can handle fair amount of sun. thank you!!

dhaven: i am glad to know your regular BHs dont go dormant way early. Is it a function of being watered well you think?? I "heard" that if these BH are well watered they dont disappear so quick.

And thank you absolutely for reminding me of the golden bleeding heart. there are some online vendors that still have it in stock and i am certainly going to get at least one.

if I plant them in the first two weeks of may in my Zone 7a will they still bloom for me this season??

MadPlanter: I just saw a picture of hosta ADG. It is so unusual and beautiful. I hope you get a chance to post a photo of it growing in your garden. I would love to see it again and how big its getting. Thanks <3

• katyajini
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Hi friends! All the planted bare root hostas and one of the ostrich ferns are showing green shoots. But none of the Bleeding Hearts show any sigh of waking up or life. I dont feel impatient, just a tad concened. Did I start the BHs too late in the season? And they got confused? Died?

• dhaven
    3 years ago

I planted half a dozen bleeding heart starts this spring, and only 1 is showing any signs of life. The rest will emerge eventually. Same with the astilbes I planted this spring, 1 showing, the other 29 not showing. It's been colder than normal here, and dry as well, but once it warms up and we get enough rain, things will start to pop.

katyajini thanked dhaven
  • katyajini
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you dhaven. Yeah I think things will start to happen quickly now. the bleeding heart will probably come out soon.

• bella rosa
    3 years ago

I purchased bleeding hearts and two types of ferns from Longfield Gardens. I just potted them up for now and they are coming up nicely. I'm thinking that once they grow to a decent size and I'll plant them out in the garden.

• dhaven
    3 years ago

There is a newer gold bleeding heart with white flowers, White Gold. You might still be able to find one this season, my closest nursery is In The Country in Independence IA, and they had nice sized plants for $10, but is sold out already. Next year I'll have to order early, and they do ship. Lots of nice hostas there are well.

katyajini thanked dhaven
  • katyajini
    Original Author
    3 years ago

It will be fun having the white golden BH! Does this one get big lie the regular BH?