SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jesse_gadwa

Should I buy a stucco house and reside it?

Jesse Gadwa
9 years ago
last modified: 9 years ago

I am thinking of either buying a 2 bedroom stucco house from my sister/BIL. It has a fairly new tin roof but has stucco siding that has cracks in several places and is starting to fall off near the front porch.

I heard some people say that residing a stucco house wont increase the value of the home and if so; not by much.

So I am wondering if I were to buy it for 20k and in a few years later sell it with either tin or vinyl siding would it increase the value.

The house is roughly 40'by32'

The tin would cost me a little more than $3000 and 2 days of labor for the guys I know to install it (another $1000). But then there are 11-12 windows of varying sizes that could be changed as well. Of course there is the price of taking off the old stucco and having it removed. The interior is fairly nice. Hardwood floors and updated plumbing and electrical. Needs some minor remodel like paint etc.

I need a place to call home for 3-5+ years but don't want to throw money into a pit. There houses around here for 50-65k that need no work but I don't have credit for a loan.

So anyways, I would appreciate your thoughts on this.

Comments (18)