SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
plllog

Tamara and Tech People--the links are looney

plllog
9 years ago

The links in Cooking were good for a long time. You could highlight text, it would come up in the link box, all the URL and there was an inline link. Same thing if you just clicked Link and entered the text in the box for it. Now, in Cooking it's joined the other forums with the returned link being stuck to the bottom of the message box, uneditable, undeletable. I left one in the bottom of a message earlier and it went POOF! No link, no text, no artifact that there ever was any text. Gone. Nada. Nil. Nothing.

I've gone back to posting URLs. They seem to be automatically changed to links accurately. If not, the URL shows. They don't go poof.

I don't know if this link moving was an attempt to gain the link at at the bottom GW had with the Here's a Link box, but it's not working! Can't we just have the inline links back, and if people want them at the bottom they can position the cursor there?

Many thanks!

JC

P.S., I'm still learning what can and cannot be found by searching, but I did find a thread in Kitchens that I'd been searching for on the Wayback Machine, and by different methods through the 'net. Since it didn't come up searching within GW or with a straight Google search, I figure it was gone from GW. Since I couldn't find it in the Wayback Machine, I thought it was gone for good. Nope! It was in the archives and now it's easy to find. :) Thank-you for making all those old threads available, even when they do pop up anew for little good reason (maybe spam 'bots)!

So, I've figured out that weight is given first to thread titles, by date, then to message bodies using a similar method to GW's with the greater number of occurrences within a thread giving it a higher position. Unlike within GW, however, the posting date does not seem to be considered, so adding the year or month to the search terms doesn't help. I wish the search could see the dates. Otherwise, it seems to be working quite well.

Comments (16)

• Compumom
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Well as long as we're asking for help...

Let's discuss the Houzz app for iphones. Where do you find the Cooking Forum? I have searched and it's certainly not obvious. There are plenty of pretty home photos, but no CF!

• sleevendog (5a NY 6aNYC NL CA)
    9 years ago

Does the app have the same header list? GW can be found all the way to the right under advice.

• Tamara
    9 years ago

HI JC - I think I know what you mean. You highlight the link, enter the url and hit 'enter', it bounces it the bottom of the page? If so, I've had one other report of this awhile back. Are you using FireFox with any add-ons?

Hi Compumom - The app doesn't have the GW forums added yet. You can read and access posts that appear in your feed from the 'Your Houzz' link in the app, though.

• foodonastump
    9 years ago

And what happened to the format of this forum overnight, for phones? Both my iPhones are displaying differently, in particular without the option for the preview. Same for others? Desktop looks the same.

• foodonastump
    9 years ago

Oh and now I see the formatting buttons are gone, too.

• Tamara
    9 years ago

FOAS - Can you post a screenshot?

• Compumom
    9 years ago

• Compumom
    9 years ago

Your Houzz shows only those threads where you have been an active poster.

• plllog
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes, I am using Firefox. I never figured that was the issue! The same link thing has been happening in other forums all along but it worked fine in Cooking until now. Okay, I tried it in Chrome and it seemed to work like it should. And at the same time, not in Firefox. I hate Chrome. The Firefox add-ons I'm running are about theme and privacy. I'm not sure I'm willing to give any up. I can just post URLs.

Thanks!

• foodonastump
    9 years ago

iPhone

• foodonastump
    9 years ago

I'm really missing this (from desktop)

• foodonastump
    9 years ago

And missing the fonts/bullets...

• Tamara
    9 years ago

You could always try disabling each add-on to see if it makes a difference. If you do, let me know. I'd be interested to see how it worked out.

• plllog
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oooh! I think FOAS has Jasdip's cat, Smudge!

Re fonts and bullets, I haven't gotten those (desktop) to work right, yet, but I did notice just now that when I manually put in numbered paragraphs it didn't try to automatically format half of it. :) That's an improvement.

Tamara, if the link thing is an artifact of the add-ons, rather than something going on at GzzW, I don't really care. :) If I remember when I have time to fool around with it, I'll give it a try to give you some answers.

• Compumom
    9 years ago

Thanks Tamara, I'll stop driving myself nuts trying to access the forums from my mobile devices. Hopefully Houzz will create an easy link soon. Now that I'm no longer sitting at work, I seem to be browsing on the iPad or phone more often than on a full computer. BTW The screenshot is comprised of 1/2 of the opening photo on the app along with the list which appears on the left when I touch the Houzz logo on the left top of the page.