SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
twinkletoad

Rose Sherlocks unite!

twinkletoad
9 years ago

:) I'm trying to identify this mystery rose.

I hope it's ok to post this here. I tried posting on another forum and got no responses, so I hoped someone here might help.

I inherited this rose from my old house and it holds a special place in my heart because when I moved to my very own first, "real" house, my sweet grandfather took a shovel, dug it up, and put it in a wheel barrow to take with me to my new home. It was the last thing put on the moving truck and it will always be my sentimental favorite. It would be at the top of my favorites list anyway, because it's beautiful, tough and so fragrant!

WHAT I KNOW ABOUT IT:

It was planted in my old yard sometime before 1988. It looks like a hybrid tea to me.

It's a tough rose - it survived being dug up and flourished for several years in red clay, un-amended soil in a HOT, humid, southern sun location.

It has wicked large thorns, is VERY FRAGRANT, and the foliage is somewhat matte, not glossy (very different from Aloha or Viking Queen, for example). It tends to get black spot here in NC. New stem growth and leaves have a dark purply-red hue.

The blooms are quite large (last year they were HUGE) and on the cool side of red, usually leaning more towards magenta, but still red. No orange whatsoever. The buds are deep red.

Anyone have a guess? I wondered about Mr. Lincoln or Chrysler Imperial...

Comments (11)

Sponsored
A.I.S. Renovations Ltd.
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County