SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
plectrudis

Good Gravy! Chamblee's Sale Section

My husband & I visited Chamblee's today as part of our East Texas Rose Pilgrimage, and for the first time, we stumbled on their discontinued/sale section. DAVID AUSTIN ROSES FOR TWO DOLLARS AND FIFTY CENTS?!?! Where have you been all my life?!?

So partly, I just wanted to share my jubilation: Wheeeeeee!!!

My second was to ask advice, especially of the Texas-area/Zone 8b gardeners, on the totally random roses I just bought in a fit of gluttony (if they're lousy in our conditions, break it to me gently):

Chireno - Ponton - actually, I'm feeling pretty confident about this one--we've seen it at the EarthKind trial garden & the Taylor Municipal Rose Garden, and it's Carefree Beauty x Mutabilis, so you can hardly go wrong. I'm assuming it gets pretty sizeable?

Summer Honey - Buck - I've heard that some folks have disease problems with the rose--is that a common issue in my general area?

Tradescant - Austin - is this one going to get crispy in full Texas sun?

The Prince - Austin - ditto?

Portmeiron - Austin - I dunno--it was there and it was so cheap. I bought it even though we have pink roses coming out of our ears. Does it have any special charms?

Charlotte - Austin - How well does it bloom in hot areas? I've heard mixed reviews...

We've got ONE empty spot currently available, in the front of a bed, in full sun, with a ~3.5' circumference. Do any of these guys deserve this valuable real estate? Right now Tradescant and Charlotte are the front runners. Also-rans will have to hang out in pots for a while.

And if you're planning a trip to Tyler soon, FYI, the sale section also has Cl Cramoisi, Carefree Wonder, Katy Girl, Mrs Oakley Fisher, Amazone, and Austin's Cottage Rose, among others.

Cheers

Comments (11)