SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gchmom

spinning off of quartzite veining thread...

lmgch
9 years ago

i don't want to hijack pippin's thread. but reading it is making me nervous. we've just installed sea pearl quartzite. i specifically selected slabs that have lots of coloration and veining. and in a couple of especially dark areas of veins, there surface is not smooth and you can see a break is the smooth glass-like appearance if you look from the side. know what I mean?

I saw this from the get-go at the yard, but my fabricator (he's not connected with the yard where we purchased) and KD have told me this is normal an that these veins have an epoxy on them. they have both said that the presence of the epoxy is not a sign of weakness in the stone, and should not be thought of as a point of physical weakness or a site for future cracks, etc.

i love the stone so much and i actually don't mind the small bits of epoxy that have been used, as I assume they were needed and i bought the stone knowing it was there.

but the veining thread has me freaking out a bit that maybe i don't know what i've gotten into. i tried my best to do as much diligence as possible. i took a sample home and did testing with vinegar and wine and ketchup and lemons, etc, etc. i asked as many questions about durability, stability, and cleaning/care as I could of my fabricator.

fabricator told me multiple times (solicited and unsolicited) that the slabs are definitely true quartzite and very very hard. he said he thinks we'll "never have any problems" and that he doesn't even think the stone will require sealing.

however...i'm worried. can anyone comment on use of epoxy on quartzite veins? this isn't buyer's remorse as i knew it was there and wanted it anyway, but i do want to understand what i should expect

thanks so much

Comments (3)