SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
idabean2

Garden Safety: what you know and sources

Marie Tulin
9 years ago

Let's share information and experiences about staying healthy and safe in the garden. I used to scorn garden gloves. I need them now. I used to love my natural garden tan; now I'm not looking for more wrinkles and sunspots. I'm especially not looking for a dermatologist to freeze pre-cancerous growths off my face. So at this time of year I'm buying sunscreen and SPF 50+ hats. As for my feet, I really wish I could find a decent sturdy shoe in wide width so my bunion wouldn't torture me after a day in the garden. That particular pain really takes the glow out of a good day's work.

What are your best resources for protecting yourself from common afflictons acquired while gardening?

Sun Protection: the golden number is a Sun Protection Factor of 50 or more.

Hats:There's a lot for sale on line and there are local sources for hats with SPF 50+. For long spells in the garden there are hats that protect the neck. Brims should be wide. Mahoney's carries a line that has both durable garden-worthy head gear and others that you might prefer for work or dressier occasions. There aren't many McCues' around but they carry a different line of dressier hats with 50+SPF made by Tula.

Long sleeves Sunscreen works: slather and renew every few hours. Untreated Cotton and poly long sleeved shirts don't offer much sun protection. There are web-based companies

that carry SPF 50+ long sleeved shirts. Do you know any local sources?

Sunscreen Really, wear it all the time and every day. Look for "'full spectrum" protection. For everyday gardening I use pretty cheap but effective store brands. When I don't want to be so greasy I like the Neutrogena line which has also gotten top ratings by dermatologists.

Poison Ivy- Have a bottle of Technu on hand. Washing with it breaks down the plant oils that cause the reaction. It works. Those oils get onto and persist on your clothing. You can infect parts of your body that were not exposed when you undress or handling your clothing. Handle carefully and wash in hot water with strong detergent or Technu.

Skin Infections: Thorns from roses and brambles are a common source of infection. They often go unnoticed until the site is swollen and painful. Soak the site in warm water (use a soaking washcloth if you can't get the body part into a dishpan) and the thorn will work its way out or allow you to gently (with clean hands and a topical disinfectant) squeeze it out.

My doc wouldn't touch an imbedded thorn until I tried soaking. It worked.

We're gardeners and we love to play in the dirt. It is not a bad idea to wash your hands with an anti-bacterial soap after a day of gardening, especially if you have open cuts or cracks on your hands. Keep a tube of triple-antibacterial ointment and bandaids for bigger cuts. Soap- any soap- and water is your best friend if you get a cut. Really wash it out and keep it clean. That may include wearing gardening gloves for a while!

Gardening gloves protect hands from small injuries and blisters that allow bacteria to enter. Helps prevent those "age spots" which is a euphemism for sun damage.

Very Regular Tentanus Shots: I 've seen recommendations that gardeners get tetanus boosters regularly.

Please add to our knowledge!

Comments (8)