SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cand1781_gw

Carpet runner on stairs

cand1781
8 years ago

I wanted to put a patterned carpet on the stairs. This is a pattern that my husband and I like...does anyone have any input about patterned runners? Is this something that we may want to change in the near future, perhaps becomes outdated quickly, etc? Should we go with a simpler textured carpet with out the distinct pattern?

we like the lighter color if that makes a difference

Thanks!

Comments (39)

• tibbrix
    8 years ago

I like it! I say go for it. It's simple and conservative but also elegant. I think it's a very nice choice.

cand1781 thanked tibbrix
  • cand1781
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Thanks. I want to do something simple, subtle, but yet stands out just enough. I didn't show a picture of the entryway but it's a curved staircase. so I'm finding it to be difficult at times to decorate bc it is a formal entrance yet I like warm and cozy. hopefully I'll get before and after pics up sooner than later.
  • Related Discussions

Carpet runner on stairs?

Q

Comments (6)
    I have very young children (5, 2, 1) and have never had any problems on my hardwood staircase w/o carpet runner. My husband and I personally don't like carpet runners bc of having to vacuum the stairs to get the dog hair off. With the hardwood it looks gorgeous and many times i just sweep it, or get a paper towel for quick wiping and that is about it! I don't miss it at all. Most new builds in my neighborhood chose the no carpet runner option. And for some reason, I for some reason have issues with slipping on carpet on the stairs, but not the hardwood stairs. also, our children do not wear socks on the stairs. We only are barefoot on the stairs because that is just how we are in the house, generally
    ...See More

(Patterned) Runner on 'L' Stairs

Q

Comments (0)
    I really want to put a patterned runner on our stairs, but with the "L", how would the pattern change? I am trying to make our foyer a little more inviting and formal and just tired of the (worn-out) solid carpet runner. "Stair Runner" file attached is the runner I am considering, if I can figure something out. This is a link that shows a custom runner, where the edges were bound with a patterned border. This is a nice idea, but I have no idea how much a custom job would cost. (3rd box down on left) http://rugdepot.com/vendor.php?i=33 Any resolutions, suggestions, ideas or pictures? Thank you. Here is a link that might be useful: Stair Runner
    ...See More

Cost of carpet runner on stairs?

Q

Comments (6)
    I paid a bit more over 10 years ago for an oriental runner. It has been great, wears like iron. Go for it! Our original plan was go without a runner on the stairs, but we hated the thud of the girls going up/down the stairs so added a runner. It was money well spent in terms of peace and quiet.
    ...See More

Carpet runner over LVP stair treads???

Q

Comments (2)
    Hey Happy New Year! You could do a overlapp of the carpet runner on the luxary vinyl plank, because before they install the carpet it would have wood edges for the carpet nailed to be put in, thus overlapping would be a problem, and it would best to leave the LVT as is because you are technically creating a second sub-floor on top of the exisitng staircase wood. thanks Purewal Contractors Inc
    ...See More
  • tibbrix
    8 years ago

Even better for a formal entrance!

cand1781 thanked tibbrix
  • k9arlene
    8 years ago

Love it! Go for it.

cand1781 thanked k9arlene
  • monicakm_gw
    8 years ago

My husband is a carpet installer and makes custom stair runners all the time. They're not out of fashion here (Texas). I like your choice. Understated elegance :)

cand1781 thanked monicakm_gw
  • busybee3
    8 years ago

I like it... I would probably even go for the sl darker one because the pattern is a little more obvious!

cand1781 thanked busybee3
  • cand1781
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    I like the darker but it's actual more of a gold color. a little reluctant bc LR is adjacent and needs complimentary carpet color. I'm headed to the store today to grab some samples for the LR
  • busybee3
    8 years ago

from the pic, the lighter one looks like it has a bit of a pink tone...

cand1781 thanked busybee3
  • cand1781
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    it's not. just the pic. it's straight up beige
  • blfenton
    8 years ago

I would be concerned about how the pattern will fall visually down the stairs through the curve

cand1781 thanked blfenton
  • Yayagal
    8 years ago

Love it.

cand1781 thanked Yayagal
  • cand1781
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Just got back from carpet store and running into a problem. having trouble finding the right color for the adjacent living room. you can see from the pics that the stairs don't touch the carpet but it needs to flow. I can get a very close color to the beige that's the main color of the runner, although I was trying to avoid all beige bc of the walls are also beige. . I can try for a lighter color that picks up the lighter loop of the runner, but not sure if that will be weird. HELP! lol
  • k9arlene
    8 years ago

Do you have any black accents in the entryway or adjoining rooms? If you do you could get a black and beige design. In my house i do have black accents and love the black and beige runner on my stairs. One other benefit is that the stairs never look dirty. The black is also very elegant looking.

• cand1781
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    the handrail and end caps of staircase are Sherwin williams black bean, so a very rich dark brown. we haven't decorated a single thing yet, however the entryway table and shoe chest are black and brown
    I could go in any direction really w accents. we don't wear shoes in the house so I'm worried about dirt so much. I'm just frustrated w finding a coordinating color for the LR. carpet guy suggested selecting a different runner but it took so long to select this one, I don't want to start over.
  • k9arlene
    8 years ago

Not this particular one necessarily, but something with black in it so you don't have to exactly match your current carpet.

• lisaam
    8 years ago

The tile in the entry is the important link in your choices I believe--as long as both stair runner and living room carpet work with the tile, it should be good. Geometric patterns look great on stairs, even curving stairs I think. But it does seem like you will come down to some relation of beige.

cand1781 thanked lisaam
  • k9arlene
    8 years ago

I looked at your original photos again and I think that a plain beige runner matching the tile and carpet it beige overkill. I think your lovely staircase should stand out, not blend in.

• cand1781
    Original Author
    8 years ago

just had a friend over and her thought was to go with the darker of the 2. Her opinion was, if we spent the $ redoing the stairs with the end caps, the lighter of the 2 doesn't make it stand out as it should. The darker, warmer color gives the stairs/entryway depth, warmth, and an overall appealing look whereas the lighter color just blends.

As for the flooring, that will most likely change in the next year to a dark wood or wood look tile when we redo the kitchen and floors. It has grown on me a bit, but it needs to go.

k9arlene, I agree, it may be too much, but i just cant see going to a dark color and losing the end caps, which i love. i love your suggestion, but it may be too bold of a statement for me. If I can find the panoramic view i posted a few weeks ago, ill upload. you can see the dining room as well as family room from the entryway , there there are other colors that break up the beige, once all is said and done and finally decorated.

• cand1781
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    love it, but i think so. I need more subtle yet formal without being too formal. I may try Home depot next. carpet stores aren't doing it for me
  • cand1781
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    ...that is if i can't figure out what to do w this one
  • cand1781
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    im already adding board and batten to the dining room, which you can see from entryway, as a point of interest. I don't want to make it too busy, which is why I think this runner works nicely for the space
  • lilacinjust
    8 years ago

Love it. Our runner is too busy, and is going to be replaced before its time.

cand1781 thanked lilacinjust
  • cand1781
    Original Author
    8 years ago

if anyone is still following this, here's the panoramic from the front door. At the time, we were getting new windows installed + toys are in the pic, but you get the idea. that loveseat is no longer blocking the view of the dining room and the dining room is under renovation...we started installing double board and batten. family room off to the left needs curtains and my chair by the curve is more of a placeholder than anything else, but, again, just to give you an idea of what I'm working with ;) Thank you again everyone for all of your input! Hubby came home with a few more carpet samples tonight. Fingers crossed!

• javiwa
    8 years ago

k9arlene - that's beautiful. May I ask where one can purchase that? And what does it look like at the top of the stairs? We have carpeted stairs leading up to a carpeted second floor, and are debating where to begin/end things. If we stuck with carpet upstairs, I'm interested to know what a runner-to-carpet transition might look like.

cand - I love your stairs! Our carpet is the same color as yours, but all our woodwork is white.

• k9arlene
    8 years ago

Hi javiwa. I just googled black and beige stair runners and several came up, but it didn't say where they could be purchased. If you have a carpet store near you, I would go there and tell them/show them a photo of what you're looking for and if they don't have a sample in the store you like, they can order it. They usually know what's available if you have an idea in mind of what you want.

As far as what a runner-to-carpet transition looks like, it really depends on your particular stairs. My stairs meet the landing with wood, so there's a division between the stairs and the second floor landing. The stair runner doesn't abut to the landing carpet.

• javiwa
    8 years ago

Gotcha - thanks! I thought you had that black/beige runner in your home. :)

• cand1781
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    when we had the stairs done, I had them rip out the carpet that went over top step and installed wood cap in its place. now this will serve as the dividing line between runner and upstairs carpet
  • k9arlene
    8 years ago

cand1781, that's exactlyl what I have.

• k9arlene
    8 years ago

javiwa, I have something similar, but I got it so long ago that I couldn't tell you anything about it.

• busybee3
    8 years ago

show a pic of the LR rug... I just went thru this for some staircases we have and it is impt for everything to look nice together, but doesn't have to be exact colors. I think a little color and pattern is nice in runners-- there really are so many options-- in runner rolls or having any patterned carpet cut and bound/ serged... take your time!

• monicakm_gw
    8 years ago

javiwa, it's called a "finished stair nose" and is usually made of oak. Or it can be a raw piece of wood that your carpenter stains to match.

• k9arlene
    8 years ago

My carpet was not a runner per see. It was carpet that was cut and bound to make a runner. The choices are infinite if you go that route.

• monicakm_gw
    8 years ago

cand1781, I showed your pattern to my husband. He said it's not going to line up if you look at each individual step. Being a curved staircase you'd have to square it at the front of each step but the overall affect will look good and he's never had anyone complain (he's world famous for his staircase runners) :) BTW, there is a difference between a runner and carpeted stairs. A runner has to be templated and bound and goes over an existing wood staircase vs installed over a subfloor with stained wood (or tile) on each side of the stair. Is that what you're doing? What he said would work better is a smaller pattern or something with florals and/or vines, but what you're looking at will be fine if it's installed correctly. This is the only picture I have. It's winding but a much smaller pattern (if it even is a pattern). I just happen to be with him one day when he needed to stop by this house and tie in the stair with the landing at the top.

• cand1781
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    it really is a carpet that we would install as a runner. I like the pattern of the pic you show but the store didn't have samples large enough to get an idea of what it would look like. I've been agonizing over this for months and my head is spinning. so frustrated. I will definitely be sure to talk to them about the install and if it will even work. I guess that should have been my first question.
  • monicakm_gw
    8 years ago

All runners start out as carpet. I've watched David cut and template many a roll of carpet. Then he takes it to a binder to have it bound. This would be a "custom" runner. Your pattern can work and look fine but it will depend on how it's installed.

• busybee3
    8 years ago

check out Stanton too... they have lots of patterned carpets- traditional and more modern- in lots of colors that can be cut, but also lots of patterned runner choices... I had a curved staircase in a previous house and went with a more traditional runner... kind of a Persian look... much preferred a pattern over the plain runner it replaced...

on one of our current staircases(straight) I went with a diamond pattern carpet cut and serged into a runner and like the less busy look there... mixes nice with the more patterned rugs we have in adjoining rooms and at the front door...

• cand1781
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    a very valid point. we havent secorated yet si i dont want ti be too busy or clash w decor. so now I'm back to which color. most friends and family say darker but the gold undertone I find more dirty looking than warm. the problem is can't find a good color.to go in LR w the lighter color. I'm tired.
  • javiwa
    8 years ago

Thanks to all! I'll be bookmarking this thread, for sure (got myself a bit sidetracked...gotta finish the kitchen first). ;)