SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
leavemeout

Marmoleum Click over possibly asbestos-containing vinyl tile?

leavemeout
9 years ago

I suspect the tile in my powder room contains asbestos, so I don't want to remove it. I want to put Marmoleum Click over it. But there are three layers of vinyl tile on the floor now: brown stick on tiles (no asbestos, I had it tested), white 12" stone-patterned tile (might contain asbestos), black and white 6" tile and black mastic (probably contains asbestos) stuck to a plywood subfloor. You can see all the layers here:

That gap in the bottom of the photo is where my carpenter cut out the kitchen floor when I thought I was going to tile the powder room floor. But now I don't want to spend $$$ on this tiny powder room floor, so am wondering if I can just take up the top layer of brown tile and DIY Marmoleum Click over the two bottom layers of tile.

There are two problems with this plan:

#1) the Click will be about 1/4" higher than the wood floor of the kitchen, so I can't figure out how to make the transition. My carpenter can fill the gap with hardwood wood, but it won't match the kitchen floor and might look strange. He could put plywood down in the gap, and I could put Click over that, but what would I use to cover the uneven level between the Click and the hardwood floor? Am I correct in assuming I can't put the Click and the hardwood right next to each other because there has to be a 1/8" expansion gap? (sorry if I'm not using the right terminology here, I'm a novice at this)

#2) as you can see from the photo, the white vinyl tile is breaking up. Pieces of it broke off when I pulled up one brown tile, so I'm assuming there will be more breakage so the floor will be uneven. How will I level out the floor? The Marmoleum installation guide says the floor needs to be smooth, even for Click. Can I use Ardex Feather Finish or something like that to patch the places where the white vinyl tile broke off?

Or am I better off just removing the entire floor? I'm very fearful of cutting through a possibly asbestos-containing material, even though my carpenter did it once already when he cut the kitchen floor out next to the powder room, unbeknownst to me.

This is a 4' x 4' powder room -- if he wets down the floor before sawing through it will that make it safer to remove the floor? He'd likely only make one cut and pull out the floor in two halves.

If I used glue-down Marmoleum (sheet or tile), the powder room floor would be even with the adjoining kitchen floor, so the transition strip could be flat, which I'd prefer. But would it be possible to level the floor enough for glue-down Marmoleum? According the Farbo website, the answer is "NO!"

I've spent hours and days and weeks trying to figure out what to do about this tiny floor! Any and all advice most appreciated!

Comments (3)