SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mugapoodle

Marmoleum Click Opinions

Mugapoodle
12 years ago

I got a bid for installing sheet marmoleum in my kitchen. I need more than 1/2" of leveling on my concrete slab (to ease the transition to the adjacent floors as well as to level the floor) and the bid for both leveling and installing the linoleum was too much for our budget. So I was thinking of using Marmoleum click. Those of you who have it, do the seams show? Is it difficult to keep clean? If you have had it for awhile, would you do it again? Does it dent easily? I have looked at a lot of flooring, and linoleum is still my favorite. We won't change our floors for a long time so I don't want to make a mistake.

Comments (15)

• dianalo
    12 years ago

For us, it was a huge mistake. It shows wear all over and we were told (after the fact) that it shouldn't have been installed under cabs.
    Ours is approx 6 months old and has look beaten up since we took the tarps off of it. It has acquired more wear every week since.
    We do not have pets, nor do we wear harsh shoes in the house. My son rolled an unopened can across it and it left a mark.
    It was everything we wanted: a green choice, a cool look, softer than tile and not as cold. It was our one true splurge in our kitchen. If it had held up to using it as a floor, we'd be in love with it.

• artemis78
    12 years ago

We've had a more positive experience, though I still prefer our neighbor's regular Marmoleum sheet over the click, I think. (We had specific reasons for not wanting the sheet---cost and did not want to glue the floor down since we have wood underneath---but I like the seamless look better.) You do see the seams, though they're far less noticeable than I'd expected (if the floor is properly clicked in). Ours has held up solidly so far---we do have a big dog so it gets a lot of wear and tear. We do have scratches from moving appliances and one small spot where my husband spilled some sort of brewing chemical and it discolored the floor. Flooring store thinks that can be fixed by buffing it but advised against doing it until there are more dings and such because it apparently makes the floor shiny so we have to do the whole room once we go down that road. It will dent if something heavy falls on it (similar to our oak floors, though it's easier to hide the dents there).

Our floor is gray so it doesn't show a huge amount of dirt but it does need to be periodically scrubbed. (I use vinegar + water on it and maybe scrub it once a month but should probably do it more often.) Ours is also under our cabinets---also didn't know that we weren't supposed to do that (apparently no floating floors are supposed to be put under cabinetry) but so far no harm done. It does give a little when you walk on it---ours has WhisperWool underlay beneath it---and is a lot warmer than the tile that was there before, which I like (our kitchen isn't heated so that's a plus).

So yes, I think we'd do it again---though personally I would pick lighter colors and do a checkerboard to hide the seams better (but my husband would disagree, and he picked the colors + pattern). Wood was my first choice but was not a good plan with a large hyper dog (the rest of the house is wood and the finish is in appalling shape thanks to him) so Marmoleum was a good compromise. I might also have looked at engineered wood floating floors too---there are some nice ones out now that weren't as affordable when we picked our floors over a year ago. Since we were limited to floating floors to protect our fir underneath, we didn't look at any tile or traditional linoleum options at all, though. HTH!

• Related Discussions

Vapor Barrier under Marmoleum Click question

Q

Comments (2)
    Hello zippydj, I had same thing occur in previous home ( did Ikea kitchen ) and was not about to pull cabinets to deal with the floor. You may want to contact marmoleum dealer to make sure you won't have a warranty issue if you don't run it all the way. Mine was fine for the 4 years I was there (laminate) but I was in SoCal and didn't worry about water issues. I just laid the vapor barrier up to the legs and then used the plinth (I think it was called).
    ...See More

Question on Marmoleum Click transition

Q

Comments (0)
    I installed Click over a 3 in 1 pad in our 50 sq ft mudroom. This opens directly to the hardwood hall, so I have 1/2" transition to cover. I got a simple carpet transition to place there, but am concerned because the tiles do have a bit of vertical flex across the center of the opening.. Should I somehow fasten them down, say with a couple of brads from an air stapler?
    ...See More

Marmoleum Click Cinch Loc?

Q

Comments (2)
    I've had a few clients of mine "look" at the marmoleum floating tiles...only to find out they can't go in bathrooms (only sheet lino can go in "wet" rooms). The fun thing about floating a floor in a garage is: you have to FLATTEN the garage floor. Most garages have a SLOPE...so that water runs OUT to the street. This slope can be significant. When converting garages to living spaces, this is one of the FIRST of MANY expensive upgrades that has to happen. Go ahead and measure the slope and find out what it costs to have it levelled. Then find out how much of your flooring budget has been eaten by the levelling. Once you have a budget, you can then have a look at floating floor options. Good luck. I've heard good things about marmoleum's floating floor products....but they are just like every other floating floor (with HDF core) = can't go in areas like bathrooms or laundry rooms. They are an lovely, expensive version of laminate. They are not water proof like their sheet cousins.
    ...See More

Underlayment with Marmoleum click?

Q

Comments (4)
    Cork does NOT play well with other forms of 'underpad'. If you want more underpad then get cork. If you have an artificial material touching cork, it will 'squeak'. I've seen it DOZENS of times. The homeowners who decided to go with the 'other' underpad because they bought into the acoustic hype were SUPER upset. As in tears and sobbing on the phone while trying to tell me why they didn't go with 3mm cork. They 'thought' they were getting a 'better' solution. It turns out their 'better solution' was more expensive and did LESS for acoustics than 3mm cork. And as Patricia points out, you MUST flatten/level your floor FIRST. Put your MONEY into the floor leveling...the marmoleum shouldn't need anything other than it's cork underlayment. And remember: the click system will still need protection from spills. The marmoleum on TOP won't care about spills but the HDF in the MIDDLE of the plank gets upset with moisture. You will want to look at a 'seam sealer' for laminate floors. They cost about $20/tube and offer 50-60sf of 'sealed click edges' for that price. A click marmoleum is NOT sheet marmoleum. You still need to protect the 'click edge' from stray ice cubes, leaky pets/humans. The seams between the planks/tiles are the most fragile part of this set up.
    ...See More
  • skyedog
    12 years ago

I put in Armstrong's Marmorette sheet flooring in a main floor half bath. I put several coats of Armstrong's Satin Keeper on after the install. It's supposed to help with the skuffs and such. They also make a Shine Keeper for a shinier finish. I don't know if it's the Satin Keeper or the fact that my linoleum is for commercial use but my floor has held up beautifully. I use my regular cleaners, people wear there shoes and I've been steaming off wallpaper in there, using a ladder etc. and I don't have a single mark or blemish. It really does look like the day they installed it. I put in Aztec red so it hides the dirt. If it wasn't a bathroom I could probably get by just sweeping it most of the time.

• rhome410
    12 years ago

We have gray (mottled pattern) Marmoleum Click planks with a few squares of the creamy yellow squares scattered in. I have to really search for the seams and sometimes can't find them. They're not even easy to feel.

We have 8 kids and 2 large dogs who don't get their nails trimmed often enough.

Ours hides a lot of dirt and smears and we sweep or vacuum, then use the steamer to clean it.

I've never noticed any dents. Early on a stack of 3 edgeless baking sheets slid off the counter and hit the floor, HARD, corners first and made little slices. Not a big deal, and certainly not the floor's fault.

There are some minor scratches. After 3 1/2 years, it's no longer perfectly new looking. But somehow it works with the matte finish and mottled look of the flooring and seems casually comfy. I suppose we could've protected more with some sort of finish, but we don't.

In our previous home we had Wilsonart Estate Plus high-pressure laminate click-together tiles. It was a little more difficult to clean, because it had to be dried to keep from looking smeary...but we didn't have the steamer then, so maybe that would've worked. I feel like it was tougher and resisted the minor scratches the Marmoleum has taken on, and looked absolutely new after the 5-7 years we had it. But the Marmoleum seems softer and warmer to walk on. I'd be glad to have either again and would have a hard time choosing between. (Except now I see that Wilsonart no longer makes laminate flooring)

• marcolo
    12 years ago

I wonder if it is possible to "try out" a sample of Marmoleum from the same lot that would be installed in your home, the way people try out marble and soapstone?

The Marmoleum I've seen in person has been very cool, and many people who post here love it. However, others have had different experiences--dianolo's being the worst. Clearly there is some sort of variation going on with the product, perhaps depending on color or lot or something. That's why it would be great to have a sample and try to abuse it, but it would have to come from the same run that your floor is going to come from.

• dianalo
    12 years ago

Our floors were ordered in early Spring, so I can't say about lots that were before or after mine. I can try to take pix later to show you some of the damaged surface. Our issues with the water damage done by the people who were trying to fix the surface was not germaine to the discussion here, but the initial problem was the many scratches and marks from the beginning that are increasing the longer we have it. It does show more now that they put a shiny topcoat on but the topcoat was meant to repair the damage and protect it. It did take care of the more superficial problems, but not the deeper ones and has not prevented further marks.
    I am considering wither an Armstrong linoleum or going with some sort of vinyl for when we replace it. I still love the idea of Marmoleum but would never buy it again in our house. If experience counts for anything, we have learned our very painful lesson....
    We have been using it until we can figure out what to do that is better. It takes on more damage and looks like it is decades old yet we are close to only half a year of using it....

• marcolo
    12 years ago

Your ordering date is good for people to know.

One thing that amazes me is that Forbo completely fails to understand how much damage your story does to them. It's a lot better to admit that they produced a bad batch, if that's what happened, than to have people wonder if there's something fundamentally wrong with the product.

• Fori
    12 years ago

I had sheet Marmoleum and it was good stuff after being installed three times--I don't think even Dianalo could have hurt it (just kidding, D! Your floor issues were baffling).

I would double check if you can use click if your subfloor isn't pretty good. I was under the impression that it had to be for click.

• artemis78
    12 years ago

There is something special about concrete subfloors, if I remember, and how you have to install it in that case...we didn't have them so I promptly skipped that part.

Ours was ordered in November 2010, but on the West Coast which might make a difference in distributors---and for complicated reasons we got a couple of boxes from one distributor in another state and everything else from our local store, and the color does vary slightly between batches. (Local store batch-checks to make sure all boxes are the same number and I definitely advise doing this---we just had some disagreement on whether we had enough extra tiles as we got ready to install, and at that point couldn't get more from the first batch and needed it faster than the local place could get it.) It is also worth noting that Marmoleum Click and Marmoleum Click II are two different products---dianalo and I and anyone who bought floor in 2011 have Click II, and most of the people who used it earlier probably have original Click. I don't know exactly what changed (install for sure---supposedly the Click II was easier to install than the original) but that might also conceivably contribute to different experiences.

@dianalo, I remember you had some installation issues with your floor too---some tiles being cut instead of all being clicked together because of the pattern, which is something our store said we couldn't do? I wonder if this could have had some impact on the performance in some way---though honestly I can't imagine how/why it would affect the surface. (??) Super puzzling...I'm also curious to know how/if Forbo ever resolves it for you, too.

• User
    12 years ago

Labor rates to install a Click floor will be more expensive than the sheet floor unless you are doing some sort of design in the sheet. The floor has to be flatter and that can be a LOT more work, depending on the condition of the slab. That also translate into more money for labor. If you are DIYing, then you can just look at the material costs.

I have never met anyone who followed the manufacturer's preparation, install, and care recommendations and had a single problem with their Marmo, whether Click or Sheet. I do know of someone who didn't prep their floor correctly and had issues with problems in their subfloor telegraphing through the sheet Marm. And I know of someone who DIYed the Click , waited to seal it because of other reno timeline issues with trades, and had issues with some scratching. She had a pro buff it out, and it doesn't look that bad.

• artemis78
    12 years ago

Actually, we experienced exactly the opposite---the sheet was far, far more expensive to install than the Click where we live (double the cost, even though the sheet product was cheaper). The Click, which we ultimately ended up installing ourselves, was super simple to install---you literally just click it in, get it seated properly, and then push it down to seal the seam. So you don't have to have an experienced Marmoleum crew do it, which you do for the sheet, where inexperience shows. We have a fir subfloor that, while not in stellar condition, was decently flat (a little crooked with the house, but so is the whole kitchen ;) but I would imagine with a floor that was really off, it would probably be most cost-effective in the long run to actually level the floor first and then install.

Also, for seams on the sheet, I think a lot of this is about the experience of the installer---our neighbor has this and bought scraps from our local flooring store to do his kitchen, but then paid $$ to have them install it and they did an extremely good job with the seams---he had to find them and show us where they were. So that's not necessarily a reason not to go with sheet, if you have a good installer locally. The main reason we didn't go with it was that it had to be glued down. The Click also has a wood/cork backing that the sheet doesn't have, which was a plus in our situation because we wanted to protect the subfloor for future refinishing and buffer cold air from our basement a bit (subfloor opens directly to dirt basement, and isn't in the cards to get insulated anytime soon in temperate California!)

I will say that in one spot we left something (still no clue what---possibly a spacer or just a nail we missed hammering all the way down in our final subfloor check!) under one Click tile and it does have this little lump in it now. We didn't notice it till the whole floor was laid, at which point there was no way we were taking the floor back up....so we just call it character. ;) But based on that, I'd say it's safe to assume it will show some imperfections in the subfloor if there are any.

• senator13
    12 years ago

We paid roughly $2.80 a square foot to have our sheet Marmoleum installed. That included the installation and the adhesive, but we laid our own subfloor (exterior grade plywood). On this site, you can purchase a whole roll (ours is Caribbean) which amounts to around 650+ square feet. The sq. foot price is $3.50, plus $125.00 flat rate shipping. So for us, it was less than click ($7.45 a square ft.), but that was because we could use the whole roll to make it cost efficient for us. We used it in all three bathrooms, our foyer, hallway from our garage and the kitchen. We have a couple of seams, but they are really hard to notice unless someone points them out. I love the Marmoleum floor. I was just thinking yesterday how much nicer it is for my feet than the tile at our old home.

From Marmo floor
    From Marmo floor
    From Marmo floor

Here is a link that might be useful: Marmoleum

• countrygirl217
    12 years ago

I put marmoleum sheet cut into 2' squares in my mudroom/laundry room and LOVE it. It's only been in a month and a half but so far it's done great. The first two weeks it had construction traffic, then mover traffic and no issues from that. Ours was installed on subfloor of main level of thehouse with basement underneath so we didn't have leveling issues. I ran it up to the existing cabinets. For cleaning I just wet mop it with vinegar and water or just water once a week.

{{!gwi}}

• dianalo
    12 years ago

In as short as I can tell, the water damage issues were from needing to shave some of the click parts off to make our pattern. We got our money refunded for the installation and the cost of the materials (not our cost, but the dealer's cost). Forbo paid us directly for the installation and the dealer that sold us the materials returned their cost to us, so they pocketed the profit on our order, which I do not think was what Forbo intended, but it came about after a long battle and while I was dealing with our shady gc, so it ultimately got by. Forbo had said we'd be reimbursed for the materials.
    The reason they owed us the refund morally is the dealer sold us the materials knowing the pattern we were doing and steered us to 1 x1s and 1 x 3s when it should have been all 1 x 1s. Then after it scratched up while under tarps and protected, Forbo sent their floor people to fix the surface. Their fix ruined the integrity of the floors when the water got it the seams. That all has nothing to do with the marks and scratches prior to the "fix" or after. It was an unfortunate chain of events, but if the floor wore like it should, it would not have needed fixing and there would be no water damage.
    I wanted the sheet instead but could not find a certified installer in our area. It would have cost much more in total.