SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
spookyface

17 year old cat w.kidney disease needs eye removal due to Melanoma

spookyface
9 years ago

We are currently facing a dilemma with our 17 year old girl, she is very active, playful, energetic but has kidney disease for year and a half now. She does well on her Fortikor mess and KD diet, really never know anything wrong with her. Monday this week we found out she has melanoma tumour in her eye, has already changed colour, but no swelling or pain or ulceration as yet but she only has minimal tunnel site now. She has had full blood panel with thyroid checked as well, ultrasound of her belly, liver looks good, chest X-rays that show clear and healthy lungs, trachea and heart seems good although we know she has a murmur (just found out) her opthalmologist is confident to get it out, he says very quickly, he is actually one of the top surgeons. The anaesthesiologist wants to do echocardiogram day before surgery ( not liking waiting till day before but know she won't want to go ahead if she has any concerns) she also is one of the top and a very experienced one and the heart is her specialty...feel confident about the two of them....my fear is renal failure. She will have IV during and after surgery and in intensive care that day and until we want to take her out so thinking two days at least.... We have done all the tests except echo which as I mentioned will be done day before - am I wrong to think that should be done now versus day before? Surgery is scheduled for a week from next Tuesday (today is Saturday) Meghane, if you are watching this conversation would very much appreciate your comments as you report you have done this surgery a lot. I saw you on a previous forum about a 17 year old cat needing eye removal. If we do not do the surgery, her eye will get ulcers, the tumour will grow, press on her eye and cause her pain...not to mention she will get glaucoma and that in itself is very painful from what I read and vets said. We

will not let her suffer for sure no time frame can be given on when how long she will be okay until all that starts happening. So our dilemma is, because kidney disease and heart murmur are present, we would be devastated if she died because of anaesthetic. Help please we are sick with trying to make this decision. I cannot help but think, in one week we could lose her if we do surgery, or she could do great and be with us another year or more. Kidney disease will progress so we know we don't have a lot of years but one more would be better than one week. Thanks all! That's her, the black beauty!

Comments (18)