SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
deeeeeleeeeete

22 year old cat

Debbie Downer
11 years ago

My cat will be 22 next July. She had the beginning stages of kidney disease a few years back, but is still quite stable. Sometimes drinks/pees more than normal, but not always. (I think feeding nothing but wet food has helped in that regard.) Occasionally pukes up a mucous mess after she eats, but not very often, may or may not be kidney related.

Has given up grooming so she looks a mess, and she sleeps most of the day and then spends the night as she has her entire life, either sleeping next to my head or sitting there purring.

Still uses the litterbox faithfully, except if the other cat gets in her space and terrorizes her (then she just lets loose wherever she happens to be.) If its a sunny day she still goes out on the back porch and sleeps in the sun and occasionally I take her down to the garden in a carrier - its nice to see her still being a cat and finding some enjoyment in life.

So Im not needing any advice at this time about letting go - I think when the time comes the worst of it will be just the sheer loss of it - 22 years of a kitty purring all night next to your head is not something I will easily let go of The only regret is not having her teeth cleaned at 10, or at 15 when it could have been done. The thing is - I thought a 10 year old cat was old! Then I thought 15 was old and she wouldnt live much longer. Little did I know!

Just curious if anyone out there has had such an elderly cat - just how long do they live anyway? And what things have you done to make them more comfortable.

Comments (26)

Sponsored
A.I.S. Renovations Ltd.
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County