SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19760412

Quotes 9 - 13 - 17

User
6 years ago

Samuel Wilson Quotes
American - Public Servant September 13, 1766 - 1854

One of the biggest challenges to medicine is the incorporation of information technology in our practices.
Samuel Wilson

There is no doubt that environmentally related diseases will continue to pose problems in the future.
Samuel Wilson

While the Environmental Genome Project does not seek to assign allele frequencies, we are aware of the importance of accurate allele frequency estimates for future epidemiologic studies and the large sample sizes such estimates will require.
Samuel Wilson

As population susceptibilities are better understood, we will be in a better position than we are in today to make informed decisions about risk management.
Samuel Wilson

I decided I wanted to be a physician when I was seven years old.
Samuel Wilson

I completed medical school at Loma Linda University School of Medicine in 1984.
Samuel Wilson

I spent some time at White Memorial Medical Center as a senior medical student doing a rotation in surgery; however, I felt I wasn't getting enough time assisting.
Samuel Wilson

There was an opening in the ER program at King Drew, so I spent the next month there, fascinated with the range of pathology that I observed, the diversity of skill that the ER physicians had to acquire, the variety of cases, and the ability to interact closely with people.
Samuel Wilson

I would like to promote the concept of a partnership of insurance companies, physicians and hospitals in deploying a basic framework for an electronic medical records system that is affordable.
Samuel Wilson

I would like the Medical Society to be one of the resources for information about the influences that have an impact on our patients and our practices.
Samuel Wilson

Unless physicians stand together to fight threats and injustices, our practices cannot remain viable in the future.
Samuel Wilson

I would say to young physicians that the more you intentionally improve the lives of the people in the community you serve the better your life will be and the greater your value will be to the community.
Samuel Wilson

I am also actively involved in my church and its community activities. We have programs to improve the lives of our congregation and programs of outreach in the community.
Samuel Wilson

It is important to consider whether the sample size selected by the Environmental Genome Project will provide sufficient power to discover most alleles relevant to gene-environment interactions.
Samuel Wilson

One of the responsibilities faced by the Environmental Genome Project is to provide the science base upon which society can make better informed risk management decisions.
Samuel Wilson

To maximize our potential to enhance our health and our knowledge, we should remain open to new understanding and evolving technology or resources that might inspire a change in our approach to these important questions.
Samuel Wilson

We all recognize that in recent decades, many important achievements have helped create a cleaner, healthier environment, yet our national needs in environmental health are not being fully met.
Samuel Wilson

The infrastructure for linking environmental health and public health is not working as well as it should.
Samuel Wilson

Moreover, environmental health at the local level has become narrowly focused, very much defined around regulations and the attendant regulatory debates.
Samuel Wilson

Roald Dahl Quotes
British - Novelist September 13, 1916 - November 25, 1990

A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men.
Roald Dahl

I began to realize how simple life could be if one had a regular routine to follow with fixed hours, a fixed salary, and very little original thinking to do.
Roald Dahl

If my books can help children become readers, then I feel I have accomplished something important.
Roald Dahl

I was a fighter pilot, flying Hurricanes all round the Mediterranean. I flew in the Western Desert of Libya, in Greece, in Syria, in Iraq and in Egypt.
Roald Dahl

I do have a blurred memory of sitting on the stairs and trying over and over again to tie one of my shoelaces, but that is all that comes back to me of school itself.
Roald Dahl

Did they preach one thing and practice another, these men of God?
Roald Dahl

All through my school life I was appalled by the fact that masters and senior boys were allowed quite literally to wound other boys, and sometimes very severely.
Roald Dahl

A writer of fiction lives in fear. Each new day demands new ideas and he can never be sure whether he is going to come up with them or not.
Roald Dahl

I am only 8 years old, I told myself. No little boy of 8 has ever murdered anyone. It's not possible.
Roald Dahl

A person is a fool to become a writer. His only compensation is absolute freedom.
Roald Dahl

Unless you have been to boarding-school when you are very young, it is absolutely impossible to appreciate the delights of living at home.
Roald Dahl

Two hours of writing fiction leaves this writer completely drained. For those two hours he has been in a different place with totally different people.
Roald Dahl

The adult is the enemy of the child because of the awful process of civilizing this thing that, when it is born, is an animal with no manners, no moral sense at all.
Roald Dahl

Nowadays you can go anywhere in the world in a few hours, and nothing is fabulous any more.
Roald Dahl

My father was a Norwegian who came from a small town near Oslo. He broke his arm at the elbow when he was 14, and they amputated it.
Roald Dahl

Nobody gets a nervous breakdown or a heart attack from selling kerosene to gentle country folk from the back of a tanker in Somerset.
Roald Dahl

The Bristol Channel was always my guide, and I was always able to draw an imaginary line from my bed to our house over in Wales. It was a great comfort.
Roald Dahl

Though my father was Norwegian, he always wrote his diaries in perfect English.
Roald Dahl

When I walked to school in the mornings I would start out alone but would pick up four other boys along the way. We would set out together after school across the village green.
Roald Dahl

When you're writing a book, with people in it as opposed to animals, it is no good having people who are ordinary, because they are not going to interest your readers at all. Every writer in the world has to use the characters that have something interesting about them, and this is even more true in children's books.
Roald Dahl

I find that the only way to make my characters really interesting to children is to exaggerate all their good or bad qualities, and so if a person is nasty or bad or cruel, you make them very nasty, very bad, very cruel. If they are ugly, you make them extremely ugly. That, I think, is fun and makes an impact.
Roald Dahl

I go down to my little hut, where it's tight and dark and warm, and within minutes I can go back to being six or seven or eight again.
Roald Dahl

'Dexter' is a very well-oiled machine; it's just a great show and great to be part of.
Roald Dahl

All Norwegian children learn to swim when they are very young because if you can't swim it is difficult to find a place to bathe.
Roald Dahl

An autobiography is a book a person writes about his own life and it is usually full of all sorts of boring details.
Roald Dahl

I shot down some German planes and I got shot down myself, crashing in a burst of flames and crawling out, getting rescued by brave soldiers.
Roald Dahl

Pain was something we were expected to endure. But I doubt very much if you would be entirely happy today if a doctor threw a towel in your face and jumped on you with a knife.
Roald Dahl

Pear Drops were exciting because they had a dangerous taste. All of us were warned against eating them, and the result was that we ate them more than ever.
Roald Dahl

Prayers were held in Assembly Hall. We all perched in rows on wooden benches while teachers sat up on the platform in armchairs, facing us.
Roald Dahl

The writer has to force himself to work. He has to make his own hours and if he doesn't go to his desk at all there is nobody to scold him.
Roald Dahl

The writer walks out of his workroom in a daze. He wants a drink. He needs it.
Roald Dahl

To shipbrokers, coal was black gold.
Roald Dahl

When I was 2, we moved into an imposing country mansion 8 miles west of Cardiff, Wales.
Roald Dahl

The fine line between roaring with laughter and crying because it's a disaster is a very, very fine line. You see a chap slip on a banana skin in the street and you roar with laughter when he falls slap on his backside. If in doing so you suddenly see he's broken a leg, you very quickly stop laughing and it's not a joke anymore.
Roald Dahl

I never get any protests from children. All you get are giggles of mirth and squirms of delight. I know what children like.
Roald Dahl

Had I not had children of my own, I would have never written books for children, nor would I have been capable of doing so.
Roald Dahl

Maurice Jarre Quotes
French - Composer Born: September 13, 1924

In that long sequence, when Lawrence enters in the desert to rescue a lost man, Lean listened the music I wrote and wanted to extend the scene to let my work stay completely.
Maurice Jarre

When I was 15, I did not know nothing about what concerned the world of music.
Maurice Jarre

My parents did not have any interest in music.
Maurice Jarre

Soon I worked during twelve years in theater works of the prestigious Theatre National Populaire. It was the best time of my life, the most difficult, the most interesting, the most exciting.
Maurice Jarre

For Ryan's Daughter I used a total of eight harps, something that was, at least, weird.
Maurice Jarre

I began to write a kind of waltz and in a little more than an hour I had the theme written.
Maurice Jarre

With Hitchcock I had little relationship. I was called to replace Bernard Herrmann, his favorite composer, in Torn Curtain, after the bitter fight between them.
Maurice Jarre

But, yes, now I wouldn't do some of those soundtracks the way I did them.
Maurice Jarre

The idea in The Man that Would Be King was that the music should recreate all that majestic surrounding and emphasize the adventure, but also speak about the frustration or, rather said, the curse of both protagonists, even before happened what happens them.
Maurice Jarre

Nowadays, if a studio assumes that his film is bad, there is always an executive that gets more nervous than usual and thinks that if they change the music, the film will become a masterpiece.
Maurice Jarre

Some months ago, while I was preparing a new work, I told a young cinema executive my intention of including in a soundtrack two themes from Bach. But when he asked me which has been the last hit from that Bach?, then I knew that I had no longer place in cinema.
Maurice Jarre

Elizabeth Marshall Thomas Quotes
American - Author Born: September 13, 1931

As far as I'm concerned, I own my dogs as I own my body. My legs are with me when I take a shower, and I feel no shame. If I were to lose one, I'd grieve, and people would send sympathy cards, but it would be my condition that evoked the sympathy, not the fate of the leg. That's like losing a dog.
Elizabeth Marshall Thomas

I don't mind aging - I'm glad to be aging. I'll never die young.

Barring some competition from whales, wolves are probably America's most popular wild animal. Wolves are also contenders for America's most unpopular wild animal, with perhaps some competition from coyotes.

You can look at your dog and see that it's thinking and has strong feelings. And if it does, so do wolves. And if wolves do, so do elephants. People aren't the only beings that think and feel.

Hundreds of species are facing extinction due to human impacts on the environment.

No other creatures of the savannah sleep as deeply or as soundly as lions, but after all, lions are the main reason for not sleeping soundly.

We may never find a way to live in suburbia with deer as we do with raccoons, say, or squirrels. So for this reason, it's very important that we make sure always to save enough wild or open land so that they can live in their normal manner.

Every dog might wish to be Dog One, but like us, most dogs want membership in the group even more than they want supremacy over others.

Besides individual things like thunder and gunshots, what dogs fear most is not belonging, being alone.

All the members of the dog family - domestic dogs, wolves, coyotes, dingoes - are very aware of territory. A group must control its own territory - you can't have others taking it from you, because then you won't have enough food.

Cats and dogs are a very good window into the natural world: a chance to see how another species lives and deals with its problems, what they like and what they don't like.

People acquire a dog, don't understand it, can't train it, get fed up, and... offer it for adoption, hoping to pass on the problem to somebody else. But nobody wants a problem dog.

We fill the woods with invasive primates camouflaged to look like piles of leaves who sneak around, sprinkling estrus doe urine and manipulating gadgets that sound like antlers clashing.

With all due respect to the nation's fish and game departments, more deer die because people hunt them than because people feed them.

In my cosmology, indigenous wild deer are more important than exotic ornamental shrubs.

Many expressions of a cat's feelings seem deeply related to the capture of live prey.

We are surely the primary agent of death for all members of the cat tribe. For many if not most cat species, our depredations must surpass accidents, disease, and even starvation by a considerable margin.

The story of cats is a story of meat.

People are perfectly glad to accept the idea that dogs love us, so they must be able to love each other.

Dogs are a window on the natural world.

I always thought of deer as solitary animals that weren't very interesting. But my goodness, that was very wrong. The big eye-opener for me was that they're social. They have family groups.

You have to be able to love members of your own species before you can branch out and apply that to other species.

Once you're known to be an alcoholic, that's how many people identify you, which could be a reason not to talk about it.

Not even a maggot is an it, and to refer to any animal in that manner is an affectation, an ignorant stab at science-speak.

Animals need to understand other species, if only to prey on them or escape from them.

Dogs who live in each other's company are calm and pragmatic, never showing the desperate need to make known their needs and feelings or to communicate their observations, as some hysterical dogs who know only the company of our species are likely to do.

Primates feel pure, flat immobility as boredom. But dogs feel it as peace.

Every day, the humane societies execute thousands of dogs who tried all their lives to do their very best by their owners. These dogs are killed not because they are bad but because they are inconvenient. So as we need God more than he needs us, dogs need us more than we need them, and they know it.

I would like to visit a dog's mind to know what he's thinking and feeling.

When I was very young, my nanny was a big Newfoundland dog... whose task was to keep me from drowning.

Dogs like to learn stuff, if not from another dog, then people are OK... They love activity, playing, interesting walks, and just belonging, being together.

To sit idly, not doing, merely experiencing, comes hard to a primate.

Veterinarians are essential allies to the millions of us who experience the human-animal bond.

From the very dawn of time until now and well into the future... human-animal companionship is at the very core of our instincts not only for mutual survival, but mutually rewarding relationships.

People didn't think animals thought or remembered or had minds! They most certainly do: any pet owner knows more than a lot of scientists about animals.

When I write about animals, I use anthropological techniques and the language you would use for a person. You don't have to anthropomorphize animals, just acknowledge their individuality.

The relationships we have with dogs seem simple enough and often are taken for granted. But these relationships can be deep and mysterious, and not at all simple.

The dogs and I are a single thing, and thus we share our interests. With them, I'm bigger and better than I am without them, and vice versa.

This was what you did in the '50s: You get married, get a job, put your husband through graduate school, and have two kids - a girl and a boy.

When we became sedentary, lived indoors, and started to raise livestock, we began to see wolves not as occasional fur-bearers or fellow hunters but as robbers.

One of the best and most responsible things a scientist can do is to write for the popular press.

We used to go in the woods by ourselves, and you can't help noticing the world then, especially animals. People used to know a lot about the natural world, especially in the country.

If you don't have manufactured items or anything we think of as 'civilization,' then you're living according to your species.

Sponsored
More Discussions