SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gelmcgregor

Do I need to repot my Phal or leave it as is?

gelmcgregor
9 years ago

Hoping to get some wisdom…

I bought this Phal from my local nursery and after the flowers fell off, I tried to get it to re-bloom by trimming the spike. Didn't work. Instead it started growing a new leaf in the middle. So after a few months, I decided to cut the spike and let my plant focus on roots.

Boy was I rewarded! I have twice the amount of air roots now and I think the roots in the clear pot are looking happy too.

I'm thinking though if it's in need of repotting. The plant is in a very small clear pot with holes at the bottom. Honestly, nothing is telling me it's unhappy (new leaf is now almost as big as the original ones and like I said I had great root growth) other than the roots looking cramped.

I want to keep the positive trend going for this one and hoping she will reward me with a spike!

I live in melbourne and I keep this plant in my kitchen near a window that gets afternoon sun but the window stays closed in the cooler months when I'm not cooking so theres no cold draft coming through.

Should I re-pot this? Or keep it where it is because all the signs are pointing towards a happy Phal the way it is.

Here are some photos taken this afternoon.

Comments (13)