SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dzech00

Sod struggling in Clay soil and lots of rocks

9 years ago

Hello, I am having problems with a relatively new sod lawn (a little over 2 years old). It came with our new home purchase in the front yard. I am located in the Indianapolis, IN area and the soil is clay with lots of rocks, and no topsoil (doh!). The first year it looked great.

Last summer we had plenty of rain, but the sod struggled to grow grass at all. It was still green in a lot of areas, but I hardly ever had to mow. Pictures are below showing what the front yard looks like now. I fertilize around Easter, Memorial Day, Independence Day, and Labor Day with the appropriate fertilizer for the season. Last fall I aerated and seeded with Kentucky Bluegrass, but it does not seem to have helped. The light brown areas of grass are almost thatched together. I have no idea what I am doing wrong and would love some advice. I wonder if I just need to start over with several inches of topsoil?

The backyard I have seeded over the two years, again no topsoil, but it is doing better than the front yard. It is not great, but it seems to grow better.

Thanks in advance!

Comments (3)