SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chrisalbertson

Looking for drought tolerant trees with small mature size

Chris
9 years ago

I'm completely re-planting my parent's house that has been neglected for a long time. The first step is to rip out the dead lawn. I may plant some tiny amount of grass back but most of the area will be plants that don't require much water or care.

I need to find a few small trees that grow slowly and don't use a lot of water. Low maintenance is the #1 priority of this new landscape project.

My sister and I are doing this for my parents and we have agreed that we must BOTH agree on everything. Right now she hates all trees because she has a 45 foot avocado tree in her yard that is a lot of work and looks ugly. I'm trying to tell her there are smaller trees that are low maintaince but I can't name any. Dwarf Citrus come to mind but I don't think citrus is going to work with succulents and other low water plants. Also we want something with less dense foliage than an orange tree. I want some hight in the design but something you can see though a little.

The house is in So. California (where I expect the drought to get even worse in coming years) in zone Zone 10b : 35 to 40 (F) Gets direct sun 1/2 the day

Comments (3)