SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sushipup1

Are you a GW Old Timer?

sushipup1
9 years ago

Kompy started a thread in the Kitchens forum for all the folks who were here back in the early 2000's. I know that many many of you were there. Check in and say hello!

Check in!

Comments (100)

• dedtired
    9 years ago

Hi CC! One of these days we'll get together.

• annie1992
    9 years ago

Lars, Renee became Beantheredunthat, then she went away. I kept in touch by email for a while, then lost her, sadly.

Shirl, the "memories in baking" member is Solsthumper. Memories in Baking is the name of her blog/website.

I'm still in touch with San regularly, and with Dishesdone and Woodie.

Annie

• Related Discussions

For gwTamara: Old Garden Rose Photos from Members

Q

Comments (21)
    KS, I love my duplex; it is in its first year. My shots of it are blooms down low; I can tell yours is "up high" - how large is it, if you don't mind my asking? I was so amazed at the sweet fragrance of the buds. I am really enjoying seeing everyone's shots. Windeaux, frankly, I am staying out of the brouhaha because I don't really care what the rose is. I wish they'd get some of those free-use pics of Redoute's drawings and use those. I hate this to turn into some kind of a competition; I just like to see the fruit of everyone's gardens. But that's just me, I'm sure and others think differently. And, Windeaux, I've only heard Tamara say kind things about you. Gean This post was edited by harborrose on Thu, Jun 6, 13 at 21:28
    ...See More

Calling all old timers!

Q

Comments (84)
    Hey Guys, it is so good to read again from all the old timers, that I have learned so much from in the past years. I come here hardly ever anymore, missing the old timers and the old friendly forum. Our garden does not look very good as well these days. Many tropicals have hard time surviving the weather we have been having lately. Most of my time and effort is taken by homeschooling my son (we just started this school year, after a not that good experience in magnet school last year) and chess tournaments (new passion of my son :-) I do wish everybody a great New Year, especially to those who deal with hardships. I would be up for a plant swap. Just to see everybody would be great! Maybe it is the motivation that I am lacking to kick me into the gardening mode again. Veronika J"s new passions: turtles and chess :-)
    ...See More

Any Old Timer Frigemore People Here? What Do You Have Now?

Q

Comments (7)
    Still have ours from 2002. It's just the two of us unless we have guests, which always seems to bring on marathon washing sessions (??!?). No noise, no leaks, no nothing (which, I'm sure, will jinx it as we've been on an appliance-replacement parade this year). Definitely would buy another FL but would have to figure out what brands and features we might like. We won't decide that till these die.
    ...See More

For you old timers -- the return of Towel Pig!

Q

Comments (6)
    Expressive face on a pig, but on my puppy, looks like he's gonna hurl.... LOL! Seriously cute!
    ...See More
  • Claire Buoyant
    9 years ago

I also began as one of the "TKO", I think about 2003. I had a different screen name, don't remember what it was but then the site had a big hiccup and I became clairebuoyant. Fun to see so many names from those days on KF. A couple more I recall are Pauline and Mindstorm. I also migrated to CF and consider this forum an absolute treasure. Along with all the aforementioned, I also remember Marigene and Monique. I may not post often but this forum feels like home

• cookingrvc
    9 years ago

Been here since the 90's when Spike was around and would send people to the 'teacups'.

• dancingqueengw
    9 years ago

I am an old timer who does not post a great deal. I extensively used the bath forum when updating our master bath. I have used the kitchen and appliance forums for the minor updates I have done to my kitchen and I used the deck forum to select our new deck. I also watch the decorating forum and cooking forums and occasionally contribute. I am so thankful for the posts and advice that I have read or received help with.

• blubird
    9 years ago

I've been a member since 2002, but have been on these boards since before then. I can't imagine that all this time has gone by. What did I do with all the extra hours in the day I had before???

• colleenoz
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

My start date is May 2001, but like others I was lurking for a fair while beforehand. I found one of the craft forums first and then one thing led to another, as it so often does on the internet :-)

• booberry85
    9 years ago

I first joined in the early 2000's when Spike was running the show, too. I started off in the Vegetable Gardening forum, then the Harvest forum and then migrated over here!

• mtnester
    9 years ago

I'm amazed at the number of old-timers who must still be lurking here, although they rarely post. Good to see you all again!

Sue

• gardengrlz
    9 years ago

I started out on GW back in 1999 when you had to pay for membership! I've even met many of you over the years.

• annie1992
    9 years ago

Kathy, I don't think I'll ever outdo Evil Jessica, but I have met 27 members of the Cooking Forum, and that includes you! I'm looking forward to meeting a few more too...

Annie

• dedtired
    9 years ago

Bubbeskitchen (Renee) is one of my facebook friends. She hasn't changed a bit, as lively as ever. I think I've met about 10 members IRL and talked to a couple on the phone.

• PRO
    Lars/J. Robert Scott
    9 years ago

I haven't seen Chase here since the takeover, I think, and I do miss her. I was lucky enough to meet her and Clive during one of their trips through L.A. I guess I should be more active on FB, but I really find it too annoying most of the time, and I also found it impossible to delete my profile, which really bothered me.

Lars

• doucanoe
    9 years ago

Not sure what my member page says because I joined and rejoined a few times during the "Spike" days. But I know I have been here since at least 1998.

I remember DanaIN, CindyMac, Fairgold, Canarybird, Linda C, Gina, San, Sol, Jessy, Marlen (RIP) Tricia (RIP) and countless others. I still use many of their recipes on a regular basis. Have met many of you in person and will always treasure your friendship.

Good to see a lot of the "old timers" and some newcomers as well!

Linda

• Lars
    9 years ago

CindyMac is the one I remembered as Harper - I think she had several different names. I also make recipes from DanaIN, especially her dilly bread and her fresh salmon cakes. Gina lives not very far from me, but I have not seen or heard from her in quite a while. I have a beautiful white and silver bowl that San sent me, but I haven't heard from her recently either. I do see LindaC on FB, and she comments on my profile frequently.
    I was lucky enough (or clever enough) never to have been sent to the teacups, but I knew many who had that I felt did not deserve the trip. I do not miss that part of the forum.

Lars

• cleo1443
    8 years ago

Oh dear, this has been a trip down memory lane. So many names I remember. I joined in Feb 2002. I loved the wit, intelligence, creativity and many other good qualities of so many of these people. I was spending far too much time on the cooking form....read every post, every day. I broke away. I was just cleaning out a file and got directed here. I am confused is the cooking forum still active?

• cleo1443
    8 years ago

I forgot to say I remember the Spike Days and the trips to Disney Loved the spirit of some of the posters. Annie your grand children must be big now. There was a name not mentioned, and I can't think of his name, he was quite a guy. I remember when Spike started to charge he paid several of the posters fee. (he even offered to pay mine and I did not post that much)

• PRO
    Lars/J. Robert Scott
    8 years ago

You might be thinking of David (Lakeguy) from Tulsa. Michael (Bunnyman) was also very generous. When I was between jobs, I got gifts from Sherry (Sheshebop) and others, which I still have. Ann_T sent me my first microplane, and I was hooked ever since. I still make a lot of recipes that I got from Ann in the early days. I also joined in 2002 (summer), but I never got sent to Disney - I thought that practice was a bit odd. I think LindaC knew Spike personally, or at least met him. There was a lot more humor in the early days, and I was bad about getting off topic, but not bad enough to be sent anywhere.

• annie1992
    8 years ago

Lars, I was never sent to Disney either, but I did get a couple of "friendly warnings". Once was a Walmart thread, where things were getting contentious so I jokingly remarked that I wondered if I said I voted for Ralph Nader they would pull the thread. We were not allowed to discuss politics, remember. The thread stayed but I got a warning about avoiding political discussions. I replied that Ralph Nader wasn't really a politician, but got no response, LOL.

I still email with San, and with Carol/Dishesdone, they are both doing well.

Cleo, The Monkey Princess is eleven now and her Bruvver is 9. I have two more babies, Ashley married and is a Mom, which is hard to believe. Her girls are 20 months and 3 1/2 years! And the cooking forum is still kind of active, there are several of us still here, although many more are gone.

Annie

• Lars
    8 years ago

I was friends with Mique also, if you remember her, and I gave her astrological advice about what day to have her wedding! I was also friends with LindaInTennessee for a while as well. Mique sent me a beautiful Tibetan-design embroidered silk pillow for doing her astrology for her, and I still use that pillow.

• foodonastump
    8 years ago

It's fun seeing some of these old names. Some were already gone pre-me(2005) and are only legend to me. I've had the pleasure of meeting a handful of posters and this thread got me thinking, how is that even possible anymore, now that the email function is gone? Those of us who have pre-Houzz contacts can network our way around somewhat, but beyond that? Short of publicizing your email, social media page, or an actual meeting location, what are the options?

• noodlesportland
    8 years ago

I was here on the cooking forum but before that when building our house.

After a few years (that I now regret!) tried to come back and see what the Annie's are cooking as well at Dsch(?)

What has happened and where is the "what are you cooking or serving tonight or whatever the H### thread I so enjoyed.

I feel I am being punished for going away...

• noodlesportland
    8 years ago

I loved the pictures of the food all of you were serving.

Sometimes with your grandkids and so on

???

Is it all over and gone?

• lindac92
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I was just directed to this thread by Sue....I don't know where I am!!
    I started out on the Garden Party waaay waaay back when. I think coconuts came from there as well. When I first started posting there, there was no cooking forum....three were only about 12 of so forums in all. There was a singles forum that was quite active, so "active' in fact that Spike shut it down!!...And then the Australian Beer Garden. At first that was fun but it got a little raunchy and Spike sent a few for a spin and it eventually deteriorated to people buying each other a drink and sitting on each other's lap.
    Eventually Spike started more forums, the recipes forum and the cooking forum.....and I came over here too.
    There were so many old timers missing....remember The Rev and Dicken, Marie and Suzanne....but I guess they were Garden Partiers.
    I believe it was in 2002 that Spike out grew his bandwidth and had to dump it all and start again, and we all had to re apply....so that's why so many seem to have joined in 02, when in fact we were here years before.
    The GP used to have yearly get togethers, attended by about 30 in the early years, Spike and Susie came one year...so I have met a lot of Garden Webbers....alas most seem to have migrated to Face Book....and we don't do mass get togethers any more.
    Nice seeing you all.
    Now where am I/ What forum?

• WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
    8 years ago

This is the Cooking forum, lindac92. And, welcome back.

• lindac92
    8 years ago

But I am not finding this thread on the CF...

• mtnester
    8 years ago

Linda, right above the list of threads, there is a box (on the right side of the page) that should say "Latest Activity" if you want to see the most recent posts. However, yours may be set to "Featured" or something else, and maybe that's why you're seeing other threads.

• annie1992
    8 years ago

Noodles, if you're still here, there's still a What's For Dinner thread.

Welcome back.

Annie

• chas045
    8 years ago

Re lindac: I initially assumed she was joking about 'where am I', but I now realize that Houzz can be really confusing, especially if one comes directly thru Houzz without a link to the 'gardenweb forums'. Perhaps she got to 'cooking' from a direct link from someone here, rather than coming in thru the gardenweb route. She may need to know that the access point from a direct Houzz login is via the ADVICE tab (and on to 'gardenweb forums'), all the way to the right at the list of options at the very top of a page that starts with PHOTOS and FIND PROS. I hope that whoever directed her here can help direct her back. It would be a shame to lose such a great resource to the fog of a new website.

• lindac92
    8 years ago

Yep....I really didn't know where I was....I followed an emailed link. I have clicked "switch off notifications" but Houzz still sends me an email every time someone posts to a thread I have posted on......how annoying is that???? Almost as bad as Rachael from card services who calls every day wanting to lower my interest rate. And lately Michelle has been calling me too, even though I have told them I always pay my bill.

• Jasdip
    8 years ago

Linda, have you changed all of the boxes to "Never" to be notified of any activities?

LOL at Rachel, there's an ongoing discussion/complaints about Rachel calling at the Kitchen Table.

• lowspark
    8 years ago

I just went to my page and I registered November 15, 2003. I started out on the kitchens forum as I was redoing my kitchen (It got completed almost exactly one year later to the day, Nov 14, 2004.)

I then paid to join the Cooking forum. Kitchens was free but Cooking, you could read free but you had to pay if you wanted to post.

I'm sorry I've been so absent the last few years but once they blocked this site at work, it just became more difficult to post as I'm not on the computer much at home.

I'm so sorry to hear about Tricia. I remember she had many medical issues but she was such a lovely person.

I remember doing the swaps -- they were so much fun. Do y'all still do them?

• gellchom
    8 years ago

Wow! Glad I stumbled on this. I've missed you all. (Except you, Lowspark -- we are both active on another forum. Quite a coincidence our posts are contiguous.) So glad to welcome back Lindac and so sorry to hear about Tricia.

Thanks for the shoutouts, mtnester and compumom.

I joined in 2001 when we moved to this house and remodled the kitchen; I found Gardenweb through the Kitchens forum. My contribution has been the Tapmaster. I still love mine. And I still love this forum! I will try to get back in the groove and meet new friends as well as getting great advice from old ones. CF people are the best!

• cleo1443
    8 years ago

Remember the cookbook we did? MOE'S DINER

• PRO
    Lars/J. Robert Scott
    8 years ago

I published the Moe's Diner Cookbook on December 8, 2002, and back then I had it on a web site called Moesdiner.com, which I have not maintained. However, I did find that I was able to upload it to my profile, and I think you can now access it from there. It is a bit dated by now, and we did not do the best job of editing the recipes, and so the style is not very consistent. I was looking at LindaC's sticky buns, and the ingredients are not listed together but show up in the instruction part instead. I think there is also a recipe from Chase that has an ingredient missing, but I cannot remember which one.

It's hard to believe that the cookbook is that old.

• User
    8 years ago

I remember Moe’s and the Trattoria. Collected tons of recipes from here in those early years. Still use some; others sat in binders for years and eventually were replaced when I reduced the binders to four. That's Sol's Molten Lava Cakes on top. Never could get those right, but they were the rave around here!

One of my favorites from the Trattoria was Chase’s Roasted Red Pepper Soup. We have that at least once a month in the cooler months. I used to roast my own peppers and kept a stash in the freezer. Now I buy jars from Trader Joe’s.

• PRO
    Lars/J. Robert Scott
    8 years ago

Here is a photo of the L.A. group meeting for the first time at Cafe Brasil on Venice Blvd in Palms/Culver City, April 2004. You can see Janene and me, but everyone else has their back turned.

Here I am in Hollywood with Scott and some of his friends from Laguna Beach.

Here I am with Kevin with Lee and Max and friends at Casa Blanca Mexican Restaurant in Venice, June 2004.

• User
    8 years ago

Here's another shot from the Cafe.

• lowspark
    8 years ago

I posted about the CD I have with Moe's Diner and other cookbooks from CF.
    http://ths.gardenweb.com/discussions/3093985/anybody-remember-this-cooking-forum-cd-may-2005?n=18

• PRO
    Lars/J. Robert Scott
    8 years ago

In the photo Cindy posted you have Lars (me), Kevin (my brother), Ellen (compumom), Janene, Linda (no longer posting), Diana, Gina, and Jesse. Interesting how Kevin's stripes flow into Ellen's.

• annie1992
    8 years ago

Cindy, I never got those Lava Cakes right either, somehow I always overcooked them and so never got "lava flow", but my kids loved them, said they were like the best brownies they ever had. They'd eat them hot with ice cream and hot fudge, called it a "hot fudge brownie sundae".

I still love Chase's red pepper soup, I first had it made by Chase herself when Elery and I went to Toronto and met Sharon and Clive and Woodie and Ken. Now I make it myself, but I never thought to just buy jarred peppers.

Between that trip, The Michigan Run, Canning Camp, California Dreaming and just various visits, I've met something like 27 members, including several of those in Lars' pictures. I've enjoyed every single one of them. I'm sorry I never got pictures of Janet Englehardt before she passed away from cancer, although I did stay in touch with her husband, Larry, for some time.

Several of us lived/still live in Michigan, including Lakemayor/Karen, wizardnm/Nancy, Sheshebop/Sherry, Bunnyman/Michael, Solsthumper/Sol, and a couple right next door in Chicago, including Peppi and Ilana.

Annie

• cloudy_christine
    8 years ago

Let's see. I've met Pam (dedtired), Ruthanna, lpinkmountain, Alexa (Caliloo), Tracy, Woodie, and Jessica. And I think I'm forgetting someone. It's always fun.

• mustangs81
    8 years ago

I've met 30+. Remember Hawk/Lou?

• User
    8 years ago

Remember the bear story? I forget the particulars, but remember someone having fun with this photo of Lou and Karen.

Annie, I stopped growing bell peppers and can never find the red ones at a decent price. It's just cheaper for me to buy 'em already roasted, especially now that we have a TJ's.

• shirl36
    8 years ago

I liked Lou and his humor and stories......when I make pizza Lou/Hawk always comes to mind.....his recipe was so much like the one that I have made for years. When Houzz took over and some oldies came back I had hoped Lou would be one of them.....Anyone hear from Lou?

• dcarch7 d c f l a s h 7 @ y a h o o . c o m
    8 years ago

Lou's pizza recipe is T&T and authentic, as well as many of his other recipes. Don't forget he had a pizza restaurant for a while.

And don't forget he is a museum quality sculptor. Truly amazing artist.

And a descent gentleman.

Lou, we miss you here.

dcarch

• shirl36
    8 years ago

I just knew you dcarch7 would come thru with a comment. By your previous posts I always felt like you and Lou had a connection.

Now I know he is not making pizza in heaven and he still could join us again and offer all his expertise. Talk to him!!

• coconut_nj
    8 years ago

Lou is a serious sculptor. His birds really blew me away. Haven't talked to him in a long time. Hope he's doing better.

• gellchom
    8 years ago

Whaa ....? Cookbooks? Oh, boy! I just found and downloaded them. How did I miss this? (And how come I'm not in them? :-) )

• susan_in_nc
    8 years ago

Thanks for sending on those cookbooks that got lost when my life turned upside down! I had joined in Feb 2002. The only member I was ever able to meet was Sheri and her hubby when they visited NC.