SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
vitruvius_sf

Ideas for gutter plantings in full sun

vitruvius_sf
9 years ago

I'm a novice gardener with a terrace in San Francisco (east of Divisadero). Last summer I installed a couple of aluminum gutters on to wall that gets close to full sunlight (6-7 hours per day this month). Last summer I planted marigolds and herbs, and neither really thrived. In the fall I replaced them with a Bay Area wildflower mix. The wildflowers bloomed, but as soon as a couple of warmer days came along, they all went crisp and promptly died.

One of the problems, of course, is that two or three inches of soil can't hold much water, so things tend to dry out very quickly. Plus, the sunlight that hits these is very direct and additionally reflects off the white paint behind the gutters. The end of one of the gutters that's partially shaded has done better in both rounds of plantings.

Time to replant. Any ideas for something that would tolerate direct sun, shallow soil and irregular soil moisture? It'd be especially nice if it could grow thick above the gutters or drape down over them. I'm thinking of putting in drip irrigation as well, so the moisture problem may eventually lessen, but the soil will still probably dry out after a few hours on sunny days.

Thanks in advance for your help! I've relied on these forums to get things started, and the community has always been great.

Comments (5)