SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
parczel

plants in less sunlight doing better than plants in full sun.

parczel
13 years ago

I've got several tomato plants growing-- a couple in buckets, and a couple in the ground. I have a backyard that only gets between 4-5 hours sun, from about 8 - 12:30. The plants that I have in this condition are thriving -- the in ground plants are almost as tall as me (5'7"), and have many tomatoes growing on them, and my bucket plant is about 2 and a half feet tall. I know that tomatoes love a lot of sun, and my front stoop gets much more of it-- from about 11:30am until the sun goes down in the evening. So I decided to put some plants in buckets on my stoop to see if there would be any difference. All of my plants in my yard are doing better than the ones on my stoop. The plant on my stoop has only grown to about a foot and a half, with very skinny leaves, and a few tomatoes are growing on it, but they have remained pretty small for a few weeks now and the plant barely has any new growth. The buckets are 5 gallon buckets, and the bucket in my yard has the same potting soil as the bucket on my stoop. They are different tomato plants (the stoop plant is a yellow pear, and the plant in the bucket in my yard is a golden jubilee)-- so I don't know if the yellow pear plant is SUPPOSED to be small or what...

I also have a jalepeno plant on the stoop, AND one in the backyard, both in the same size pots, and the plant in the yard is doing MUCH better than the plant on my stoop. I am pretty confused as I thought that putting them on my stoop where they received several more hours of sun would have benefitted them....

Any ideas on what's going on?

Should I put all the plants in the backyard, or are they just storing up for a giant growth spurt soon???

Thanks.

Comments (10)

Sponsored
High Point Cabinets
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Columbus' Experienced Custom Cabinet Builder | 4x Best of Houzz Winner