SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
armyyife

Second year Peggy Martin rose

armyyife
9 years ago

I just wanted to share a story about this wonderful rose. I bought this rose 3 years ago from one of the antique rose growers in SC. It sat for the first year in its original container in a shallow herb bed next to my patio and I watered it now an then when I remembered which wasn't very often. It grew through the container and threw out huge laterals looking like some giant octopus had taken over my patio it was unreal. Well the second spring on a really hot southern day I did everything you should not do to this rose. In the middle of the afternoon I dug up this rose, and had to hack off most of the roots because of the way it was rootbound and grew through the container. By the time I was done there wasn't much left to her, and I also didn't cut off any of her growth because seeing as I was dumb and did this right before she bloomed and being covered in buds I was hoping she would still bloom. So I literally drag this octopus across the yard to the fence line and go to dig me a hole. Unfortunately the ground there was hard clay with a lot of rock and I was so wore out from digging and cutting her up I just could only manage a hole to halfway cover what was left of her roots. I just sort of piled some clay as best I could to the exposed roots and let her be. A week later she wasn't looking to good. I cut off most of her growth and a week later she looked toast. I decided I'ed dig her up and toss her later as it was so hot. I didn't water her because I figured she was a goner. I come back to find she had exploded with new growth! She bounced back and then some! She even bloomed that fall. Now in her second year since I actually planted her she has grown into a monster. Oh and while she was in the container she produced an offspring of which I planted in another spot. So here she is right before she blooms. All of what you see in one plant and she is loaded with buds. I hardly ever water her and I don't fertilize her, she actually seems to thrive with neglect! I'll post another when she blooms. I can see how she was the only one to survive Katrina, you just can't kill her! :) ~Meghan

Comments (30)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!