SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
desertsteph

Help me decide on 2 lite fixtures

desertsteph
9 years ago

I have 3 to decide between. I want the 3rd one for the hall. It's available with just 2 globes (14" long and the 3 globe is 23" long). Maybe for the kitchen also? or one of the round ones there?

There's a window over the sink and the wiring is on the ceiling (slightly vaulted). there's 54" between the cabinet sides left and right of the sink. I'd aim 1 globe down to the sink, 1 to the left toward the stove and 1 a bit to the right and forward to where the table will be.

The other is for a hallway. It won't be used much and doesn't have to light all down the hall - as it goes into a rather open area between the kitchen and pantry. It's not a long hallway to lite up - maybe 8'. Also, it isn't like the bedrooms down the hall are used by anyone (but me).

The first 2 are options for the kitchen. The 2nd one is about 10" in diam. The 1st has weird measurements. I'm not sure how to figure them out. it says - Assembled Height 5" (I understand that one) Assembled Length 18" and Assembled Width 18"

Assembled Diameter 12" - Why all 3? length, width and diameter? is length from 1 end of the 'bar' to the other?

the globes on all 3 of these are moveable and amiable.

The 1st one is 82.00 the other 2 around 40.00. I think they're all on Amazon.

At the end of In the hall I'll have 2 cabinets and can aim one globe at the tall cab where I'll have some books. In case I need to look for one at night (very unlikely).

This first 1 I saw and thought it's really different but maybe it's too weird. Not sure i'll like it IRL.

What do you all think about 'em? I'm tired of looking at lite fixtures.

Comments (23)

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    9 years ago

I like the first and third lights--the second one looks too industrial/garage/ flood-light for me. But $42.00 more is a big disadvantage for #1. Being frugal, I'd have to carefully consider that.

"Assembled Diameter 12" - Why all 3? length, width and diameter? is length from 1 end of the 'bar' to the other?"---Maybe 12" diameter housing, and 18" if the lights are fully tilted to the sides?

• desertsteph
    Original Author
    9 years ago

that might be it mama g. It just doesn't look like the base would be 12" across!

here's a different pic of the 2nd one - look any better to you?

• Related Discussions

Help me decide between 2 glass tile backsplash choices.

Q

Comments (6)
    Thank you! I'm leaning towards the garnet myself.. because I am too a red kinda gal, but was afraid it would be too loud if you know what I mean. I was thinking it would be more serene with the blue/green, however the granite has specks of garnet in it, which I think would look really nice. Its called bourbon blend and found it online. http://www.glasstilestore.com/bourbon-blend-p/bourbon%20blend.htm
    ...See More

Can you help me decide between these 2 lights for my foyer?

Q

Comments (1)
    I think my vote is for the smaller fixture. The larger one is nearly as large as your window (if I read that right, it's 44" versus a 48" window). Also, if you center it on the window, you're probably going to be viewing it mostly from an angle (not dead-on) from the outside, so if the fixture is too large, I think it would look like it's overwhelming the space. Just my two cents though.
    ...See More

Please vote and help me decide on replacement lighting fixtures

Q

Comments (1)
    I think either style/finish would go very nicely in your home and like both, but prefer the Bedford a bit more.
    ...See More

Please vote and help me decide on replacement lighting fixtures

Q

Comments (3)
    The Bedford would work better with your space. Your space is really light all over right now, so anything you change may seem heavy or dark at first, but it really isn't. It is just a more updated look, so try to add some accessories to bring some of the darker metal to other areas so it all relates.
    ...See More
  • desertsteph
    Original Author
    9 years ago

thx all! I'm gonna have to figure out if I have enough space from the wiring hole in the ceiling to the wall to fit that circle one up there... not sure how to check it tho. When someone tall is here next wk I'll see if they can climb up there and measure from the base of current fixture to the wall for me.

I'll need some time to decide if I want to spend the extra $s too or just get the 2 for the price of that 1. It isn't like I look up there and see the fixtures much anyway.

otherwise, I might end up with 2 of #3 - 1 with 2 bulbs and 1 with 3!

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    9 years ago

Due to cost, the 2- and 3-light versions of the third option would be my choice. Even though the actual lights are the same on all options, I just don't care for the one with the ceiling medallion.

• desertsteph
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I sort of agree on that. I do have #3 in my bathroom and laundry room...

how about I take some pics of the places and post this wkend?

• Nancy in Mich
    9 years ago

Good idea to post pictures of the ones you have already.
    Are these the ones with the hotter bulbs that you were asking about? Halogen bulbs? If you have already started using them, it is probably better to continue, it will be a while before the LED bulbs that last forever and put out no heat will come down in price.
    I like #1 and #3, as well!

• desertsteph
    Original Author
    9 years ago

no nancy, these have regular incandescent bulbs A15 I think. There's a good number of them like these that take the halogen bulbs tho. That's why I asked. They're getting difficult to find with the incandescent bulbs. My bathroom and laundry have been up for well over a yr and no bulbs out yet. they aren't used that much - but neither will the hall or over sink one. I will need to buy up bulbs I think - before they're gone...

I'll take some pics. Don't know if I'll be able to put them in my computer - don't know what I did with the cord or if the computer still has the prog for loading the pics of this camera. I might have lost it last yr when my hard drive was changed and win7 put in it. I haven't tried loading any yet. I do have slots on the cpu for some memory cards. I try not to do anything that requires thinking - lol!

well, everyone's on board with the same ones!

• desertsteph
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

until later when I take some pics, I thought I'd post 2 of the 2 bulb fixtures I found online - both use incandescent bulbs. These are both around 35 - 40.00 $

4 - this one takes 2 40w bulbs. It can be a wall or ceiling fixture. Not sure 80w would be enough for my old eyes if I look for a book at night. Doesn't happen often, but it has happened. I have books in a back room that has an over head fixture and I have gone in there at night looking for a particular book or 2. OTOH, 40w aimed at the bookcase might be enough.

5 - this one takes 2 60w bulbs. That'd be a lot of light. I think my back bedrooms only have 1 60 w bulb in them.

• desertsteph
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I went to HD today and guess what they had? fixture #1 and I didn't like it - BUT, it was in chrome. I wouldn't want that. It also looks bigger to me. It's 13.? " wide. So I figure I'd need at least 6.5" from the center to the wall - and that'd put it smack against the wall. I'm still gonna have it measured out this coming wk when Trevor comes back to cut down more weeds for me.

And hopefully tomorrow i'll remember to take pics!

• Nancy in Mich
    9 years ago

Yeah, if it is that close to the wall, it sounds too big to me, too, Steph. I am glad they are not the halogens. Incandescent won't be so hot and you can always replace them with LEDs in the future when the LED price comes down.

If you have the two lamps pointing at opposite ends of a bookcase, I don't think two 60 watt bulbs would be too much, Steph. Especially if you are going to be reading. Remember, our eyes are only going to get older!

We recently removed our big floor lamp from the family room because DH was tired of the mogul base 300 watt bulb expiring so often on it. It was the uplight, there also were three candelabra bulbs that could be 45 watts each on the lower part of the lamp. I moved it to my sewing room. Now we have to figure how to get a main light into the room because we no longer have a lamp with enough light to illuminate the room at night. We each have a fluorescent Ott light lamp that is more of a personal work area lamp. We really miss those 300 watts!

• desertsteph
    Original Author
    9 years ago

nancy - I do worry about things overheating... I don't use the lights that much - but, I could fall asleep with one (or more) on. I've done that. It's a good thing I don't use them often or I'd go thru more bulbs (and electricity). I only turn my outside lights on when I take the dog out. And usually in a room only if I'm in it - unless I'm going back and forth. Like doing dishes during commercials - lol or tonight when I'm moving boxes and books from 1 room to another. I have 2 motion sensor nightlights that plug in low for going to kitchen at night or bathroom. That's enough light to keep me from tripping (hopefully).

Also good to know I can use LED in them in the future if needed. Tho, I plan to buy up a bunch of incand bulbs.

I was thinking I should take a lamp w/60w bulb down the hall at night and see how much light it does give. I wouldn't be reading down the hall but possibly looking for a particular book/title. And yes my eyes are old - and tired and I often 'go looking' w/out my glasses on!

• desertsteph
    Original Author
    9 years ago

clicking on the 'photo' below has now locked up my system twice! ugh!

trying again -

kitchen light - I couldn't get the pic smaller and still have the 'boundaries' in it.

here's the hallway - oh, it's so in focus - ha! The alcove to the left has 2 doors to 2 bdrooms. 1 will be blocked off and have a bookcase in front of it. There'll be shelving straight against the back wall (and to the right). I'm having another doorway put in for the soon to be doorless room. I'll use it for my tv room and have a doorway from the kitchen area into it. That will make it steps from the kitchen, the back door and a bathroom.

and the 3 lite bar fixture in my bathroom - I'm wondering if I shouldn't get the round one for in here. Would it look better next to the skylite?

• User
    9 years ago

Hmmm, Steph, you can take some fixture designed for outdoors and buy it much cheaper. If you are looking for a round bubblegum with milky colored glass globe, those are very easy to find and I'd suggest you take a look at a Habitat for Humanity Restore place. I think the round globe covering the bulb is the best option. You don't want to call attention to an overhead fixture unless it contributes to the decor, or so it seems to me. Heck, for that matter, if you like you can find a simple cord with a base plate, and attach a plain lamp shade to it. I'm assuming you have a wall switch already installed for these. Then choose the paper shade or even a fabric shade that you like and come out cheaper and prettier to boot. I'll look for a ceiling light kit for you, plain pendant, and see what I find.

For reading, an overhead light is not adequate, and certainly lends no magic to your space. I recommend a table lamp for that, or a wall mounted swing arm lamp that takes a bulb size easily available. I simply HATE CFL bulbs, and find them slow to heat up and give off their light. Left on a long time, they get brighter though.

If you've waited this long to buy one, a little longer couldn't hurt. That is a nice skylight, but I'm surprised that you have one at all in Arizona. It must have good solar coating on it?

• desertsteph
    Original Author
    9 years ago

" looking for a round bubblegum with milky colored glass globe"

not sure what that is ML. Sounds like the white globes I have now in the kitchen and hallway. (see pics above) That's what I want rid of... I've got 2 or 3 in a box somewhere here to take to GW. I wanted to add 2 more before I make the trip there - lol!

yes, these ceiling lights have switches - and no, they aren't for reading. These ceiling are vaulted - too high to be for reading. I have numerous table lamps and 4-6 floor lamps (to be rewired). I could do that except now my fingers don't let me anymore. Will see if one of the guys will do it. At least a few. I have 3-4 (maybe a few more) that are in working order now.

4 rooms have ceiling fans (2 to be replaced). the DR I have no idea yet - also a vaulted ceiling.

You don't like any of those above? I picked this kind cause I need them to 'cover areas'. The bathroom one covers the tub area, the shower (opposite side of the room) and the open area. Also, 3 60W bulbs give me more light than 1 100W does in a room. In the kitchen one could go to the left (stove), one down to sink and 1 more toward fridge/table. (there isn't a lot of space between any of those) I thought about a pendant over the sink but then that'd be more contained light over the sink. (well, that IS what an over the sink light is to do!) - I do have a pendant light on the other side of the kitchen area - by the pantry.

In the kitchen I do have 2 large florescent lights in the ceiling - I use those if I'm making something or most anything at night. I'd like an alternate light source . The over the sink one is burned out now, so I'm using the others. I also want down lights (not to catch dust and bugs) and open at the bottom (easier to change bulbs).

I have 2 skylights - 1 in the mstr bath and 1 in the kitchen. I think they are coated - but lots of people have skylights out here. My sister has a huge one in her kitchen over the island. It's great sunlight fall - spring.

Those CFLs and my eyes would not be friends!

• User
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Steph, of the 3 first shown I like the third one. It is like track lights, which can work very well. On my kindle in bed, I will think about it in the morning.

• desertsteph
    Original Author
    9 years ago

thx ML. get some sleep! most light fixtures in here have a max use of 1 60W bulb. Actually, all of them have been that. The back 2 rooms I'll probably let be. 60w way up there on the ceiling (it's high and I'm short) doesn't put out much light!

• User
    9 years ago

Steph, what I'm talking about would get the lights down off the ceiling. You could make your own for that matter.

Do the search on DROP LIGHTS IN CEILING, and do it on HOUZZ, the search bar at the top of the page here. NOT the websearch using Google or Yahoo or whatever search engine your browser uses. Just use the HOUZZ search. I chose the one with photos added.
    You'd need the wiring base plate and a cover with a hole for the chosen cord, and then wire a socket to the other end, after you position the shade of choice on the cord, and you can make your own. You said you know something about wiring, so try getting them down from the ceiling if what you want is more light in your rooms.

• desertsteph
    Original Author
    9 years ago

ML- I've browsed thru the first 100 or so pages (I'm still looking there). Found 3-4 that I like - but not for the kitchen, maybe DR. Somewhere I do have an old cone shaped grater I've always planned to use for a light fixture someday. I don't think it'd give enough light in the kitchen. Maybe as an accent light or nightlight.

oh, 1 of those lights I would use in the kitchen - if it weren't a straight down light. It'd only light the sink. I had Trevor put a new bulb in the fixture there now. I want to use it at night and see how much light the 60w bulb gives and what all it lights. I forgot to turn it on last night... hoping to remember tonight!

• desertsteph
    Original Author
    9 years ago

ok, I turned on the over the sink light w/its new 60w bulb... not much light anywhere. No wonder I'm going blind... or maybe because I am? ha!

I'm gonna go with the 3 bulb light. That'll be much more light at night in the kitchen. I think the 'bar' one would spread the light out in the room. I had someone here and she also thought it'd be better than the round one. I've had my eye on that round one for a few yrs now, so part of me isn't happy to take it out of the running. But I do need to think more about how the room is lit rather than my visual want. The 3 bulb bar one I like just fine anyway. It isn't like I'll be looking up at the ceiling a whole lot anyway.

I'm just gonna get the 2 bulb for the hall so I can stop thinking about fixtures for now... until I start thinking about what to put in the DR. For now I just pretend it doesn't exist...

thx everyone for your input and ideas - they really do help a person sort things out.

• Nancy in Mich
    9 years ago

Naw, Steph, not going blind, just getting old. 60 watts, especially behind a shade, are not very bright. That's why I was advocating for incandescent fixtures that you can put LEDs in someday. If a fixture is rated for 60 watts, you can easily put in the LED equivalent for a 75 or 100 watt bulb in it and not go over 60 watts. Plus, if the LED bulbs really last 20 years, you may never need to change the bulb again!

• desertsteph
    Original Author
    9 years ago

"If a fixture is rated for 60 watts, you can easily put in the LED equivalent for a 75 or 100 watt bulb in it and not go over 60 watts.

Plus, if the LED bulbs really last 20 years, you may never need to change the bulb again!"

Nancy - that's why I like the 3 bulb fixtures. 3@60w = 180w! Let there be light!

I think 180 w in the sink area (prep is about 1.5' to the left of it) will be enough at night. 60w isn't, double that would be so-so but triple should do the job! (like the 3 bears!)

I need to write down the info about the LED equivalent wattage. And if I never needed a bulb changed out again that would be wonderful!

I've had the others in for over a yr and they haven't burned out yet. Again, they aren't used that often or left on for long periods of time but if only changed once a yr I'd be happy.

• User
    9 years ago

Nancy, that is my thinking too.