SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tiger275

Help picking seed in TN

tiger275
9 years ago
last modified: 9 years ago

Hello everyone.
Thank you for all the information you share...

I am finally ready to start the revitalization of the landscape on my newly purchased home (likely a multi-year project). I need to get some seed down on the coming weeks (and I will over-seed again in the fall with the same seed) and am looking for some advice from the smart people around here.

Let me start with a little background info.

1. Home is outside of Knoxville, TN
  2. Want to use tall fescue on approx 2 acres (approx 60k sf lawn), Fully irrigated,
  3. Have 3 main "zones" to deal with... (a) front and rear lawns (east and west facing - full sun), (b) side lawn (South side of house) with row of 23 Bradford Pear trees (recently trimmed by 1/3 so perfect time to plant grass) and (c) side lawn (North side of house) limited sun, dog run, need very strong grass that can withstand dog urine
  4. lawn was neglected for past few years..heavily weed infested (treated with SpeedZOne for past few weeks...really knocked the weeds down)and appears to have some Bermuda and other warm season grasses mixed into the remaining grass stands
  5. Plan to seed at around 5#/1000sf now and again at 3-5#/1000sf in the fall

I have a few choices of seed available locally OR I can purchase from Hogan Seeds in Nashville. I am looking for some opinions or ranking of my possible choices. The possible options are....

(1) Purchase a blend from the local CO-OP - Winning Colors Blend (Picasso 39%, Divinci 30%, Monet 19%, Van Gogh 9%) - $100/50#

(2) Purchase one of the following quality seeds from the local Nursery
(a) Speedway - $100/50#

(b) Falcon IV - $105/50#

(c) Titan RX - $105/50#

(d) Grande 3 - $100/50#

(e) Defiance XRE - $80/50#

(3) Follow the recommendation of Hogan Seeds and purchase the Hogan's Blend (currently mixed with Turbo, Bullseye, Faith, Falcon) - $130/50# delivered

So here are my questions....
- I would love to hear which option you guys think is best...and why?
- If you think option (B) is best, which seed do you prefer?
- Should I use the same seed for all 3 "zones" or do you think they require different seeds?

Comments (7)