SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
juventusopp

Coir - Pro-Mix BX

juventusopp
9 years ago

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone has tried mixing coir with Pro-Mix BX? Providing it's desirable to amend the BX, I'm not sure how much coir would/should be added but assume 20% or less is fairly conservative. I've never worked with coir or adding coir to container plants. I just rehydrated some in a small bucket and it expanded well and looks fluffy. I noticed some sand and fines in the bucket after squeezing it out so I'm not sure if it needs to be screened as well? As I said I've never used coir so I read a lot of info on it and changed my mind on it (for or against) about 10 times and need help lol. I'm not too concerned about ph since coir is fairly neutral. I'm not sure about higher amounts of potassium and iron, manganese, zinc and copper and how they would work change in the BX.

If this is not a good idea or useful please don't worrying about expanding on a simple no answer lol. I trust the sources here. Maybe I could use the coir with some of the gritty mix pine bark rejects and some perlite and lime?

Side bar - I am aware of al's gritty mix and have most of my larger citrus in them. It's a great mix but I found it didn't work well for me with smaller containers and citrus, hence the use of Pro-mix and this query.

Thanks

Comments (6)