SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jdevers_gw

An okra quality question for my western neighbors

I've grown okra for years but always direct seeded in mid to late May. If the ground was cool I often wouldn't get germination until a week or so into June and last year was really bad. I saved so much okra seed last year that I decided to experiment with a dozen seed or so and start them in soil blocks. In about 7 days all had germinated and have solidly emerged, now I don't know what to do with them.

I have multiple low tunnels under Agribon, but I'm considering planting these out under some double layer 10 mil plastic I have in 5 foot wide low tunnels. Has anyone here done that before this early? Information I found online from university sources states "The optimum temperature range for growth is 70° to 86°F, with minimum temperatures of 64°F and a maximum of 95°F." Which is a joke to anyone who has ever raised okra, in my experience it drags it's feet until temps are at least upper 80s and low 90sand doesn't really like it until temp spikes into triple digits start. My most productive years are when it is 75+ every night and 98+ every day. My worry is that I will cook them under plastic, but they really do like the heat.

I'm sure the advice will be " try and report back" which I will do today, but I was hoping someone could let me have a glimpse of the future...

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting