SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jodi_socal

Keurig Coffee Brewers ... how do you choose?

Jodi_SoCal
9 years ago

I'm looking to buy a Keurig for my husband and I. We each drink one cup of coffee a day.

I've looked on Amazon and found so many models that my head is spinning. Why would I choose one over the other?

If I had my druthers, I'd choose something that takes up very little counter space and would be easy to store. Are the Keurigs all about the same size?

What features are 'must haves'?

Do the newer machines now have a reader in them so that you can only use the Keurig cups?

Jodi-

Comments (49)

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Why not get a French press instead, if you drink only one cup a day? They make really great coffee and don't have the plastic, environmentally no-no pods to throw away. Just a suggestion.

Another reason I would not personally get a Keurig is because, anytime you have a machine through which water flows, there is some reserve basin with water in it inside the machine. In Keurig's case, it'll be the water lined up for the next cup. That water, trapped inside machines, gets stagnant and icky because that area can't be cleaned out. I learned this from my Haan steam mop, which started smelling terrible, and then I figured out it was the reserve water left inside the mop. So now I take the water supply off the mop and let the mop run until it fully stops steaming so that it is completely empty of water when I put it away. That has completely solved the problem.

• Jodi_SoCal
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

We have a French Press that I bought in Paris in 2003. We don't like it. Hubby has asked for a Keurig for Father's Day. He is the hardest guy to buy for so a Keurig he will get, I just don't know which one.

The reason I asked about cup reader is because I would like to use the reusable cups if possible, at least for myself. Hubby likes his coffee a bit fancier than me so he will probably be going for the different flavors.

• Related Discussions

Keurig Coffee Makers

Q

Comments (12)
    When we lived in the Netherlands we were introduced to the Senseo coffee makers and got hooked. My brother has a Keurig. I like the Senseo better because you can brew a double cup if you want and it is enough to fill a commuter mug. We can make a fresh cup of coffee, small or large/caf or decaf, whenever we want. It's just the 2 of us most of the time and we were constantly tossing out half of a carafe of coffee from a standard coffee maker each day. We bought ours from Amazon. I ordered Senseo decaf pods from Amazon, as well, but have a very large stash of Perla dark roast pods that I bought before we moved back to the States. I would recommend the model with the large water reservoir because it's easier when you have company. seagrass
    ...See More

Keurig Coffee Makers & Coffee

Q

Comments (35)
    I'm one of those who cannot make a good pot of coffee, because hubby and I are not coffee drinkers. If we have guests who want coffee, I usually have someone else make it or pull out a VERY old perculator which many of our friends and relatives seem to prefer. We have some good coffee stores and that is where I buy coffee. You can grind it then or buy the beans and grind at home. We have a keurig at work and there are two who especially seem to like it and use many different flavors. However most seem to prefer the old drip maker or the espresso machine. I do get the comment about a "good" cup of coffee. Occasionally, in a restaurant I might order a cup with dessert and there is one restaurant especially who has really good coffee. tina
    ...See More

making own coffee in keurig

Q

Comments (25)
    Yes, BBB carries the kcups too, Tina. My bf figured out the average $/cup of the keurig vs. regular coffee .. because he's that kind of a guy. I don't remember what they differences were (because I am that kind of woman!).. no, really it depends on what kind of coffee beans you are buying and how strong you make your coffee. I just checked amazon and it has a deal for one of my favorite coffees at $63.96 for 96 pods.. that's $.67 for a cup of coffee if you only use a pod for one cup. Some people do run 2 cups through a pod...making the second cup smaller. If I buy the same coffee beans (Caribou Mahogany) at $9.99/12 oz, I can expect about 50 cups of coffee from the bag (your results.. and mine will vary based on how finely you grind your beans and how strong you make your coffee. I am using the avg reported by Joe Internet) so the cost, on average, for a cup of home brewed coffee is $.20. Yes, that's a big difference.. $.47 per cup; $3.50 a week. However, as Tina mentioned.. it's much cheaper than a cup of coffee from Starbucks, McDonalds or your corner gas station. It also doesn't figure in the waste if you don't finish a pot of coffee (I have waste at times.. sometimes a full cup of coffee or more in the pot. Sometimes I will reheat.. often not). I think that's a valid reason to stick with brewing-- particularly if you brew a less expensive kind of coffee. I also think there's validity in the waste produced with Kcups (though they have made some changes and continue to look at more environmentally-friendly kcups). On the flip side, the simplicity and convenience is undeniable. You want a cup of coffee-- just put a pod in, push the button and dispense. It's always an easy, quick, consistent and good cup of coffee. I don't use the keurig as my daily coffeemaker-- partially because of the number of cups I drink and the amount of waste in the discarded Kcups.. and partially because not ALL of my favorite coffees are available in Kcups. The price wasn't a big consideration-- though it is a valid reason. I don't know what yaya read but I can say my coffees have never been instant--or flavored! Blech... but there are plenty of brands and varieties of kcups so perhaps some are little more than that. Again, the keurig may not be the best option for you-- my own family is split. My sister, SIL and grandmother would fight you for theirs -- the nieces and nephews too because they love that they can make their own hot chocolate! My parents, other sis and I both use regular brewers day-to-day, however my parents use the keurig for holidays and in their motorhome. I use mine in my upstairs office. There is definitely a place for them in some homes and in some lifestyles. Hope the cost and lifestyle summary help some of you evaluate clearly what will work for you!
    ...See More

OT: Keurig Coffee Machine

Q

Comments (17)
    There are over 100 varieties of coffee, (I started to count and gave up), available for the Keurig, so if you haven't found one strong enough yet, you probably haven't tried them all. Although if you expect espresso, I don't think the Keurig will do it for you. The extra bold k kups are supposed to have 25%-30% more coffee in them for stronger cups or larger cups. Trying one or even 5 or 10 varieties does not necessarily mean the right one doesn't exist. You might try "Double Black Diamond Extra Bold Coffee by Green Mountain". The "new" bold cups are supposed to have 30% more coffee. I don't like super strong coffee, but I love my new coffee maker. My SIL got one from Kohls and it is just as loud as the one I had from Costco. I bought another one from Kohls, the Platnum, which they claim has "quiet brew technology" or something like that. It is quieter if that is important to you. Sue
    ...See More
  • JoanMN
    9 years ago

We have the Keurig with the 72 oz. reservoir, from Sam's Club. We also each drink one cup of coffee daily. We love it. I like the timer, I have it set to start at 6 a.m., and off by 9 a.m.

• Fran
    9 years ago

I have and like the single cup Keurig. You have to pour in a cup of water for each cup of coffee before brewing. Occasionally I unplug the thing and dump it upside down over the sink and some reserve water comes out and then start all over again. There is a little basket attachment available that you can fill with the coffee of your choice. It's a little more trouble but cheaper and more environmentally friendly.

• nodakgal
    9 years ago

I bought a Keurig K45 Elite back in Feb. Absolutely LOVE it! You may use it more than you think! LOL They have hot chocolate, hot apple cider, iced drinks also.
    They do have a "new" one, or it was somewhat new when I looked, it takes the kcups or a pod to make a pot I think?? I have heard lots of mixed reviews on that one. I think it comes with a carafe? I am really not sure on all of that. Do some reading on them. There is NO WAY I'd NOT have a Keurig after having mine! No burnt taste just great coffee!

• two25acres
    9 years ago

We have the Vue, love it but we have a terrible time getting the vue cups. Walmart isn't carrying them any more and the only place I can get them is online or bed bath and beyond. We're out in the country so a 40 minute trip to bbb has to be timed with other errands. Come to think of it, I need some so I'll go order some now.

• bob_cville
    9 years ago

Yes the newer Keurig machines use a Digital Rights Management (DRM) scheme to attempt to force you to buy and use only their more expensive pods. It might be possible to find an older machine that doesn't use the DRM scheme. Or, from what I've read, it seems not too hard to fool the scanner in the machine.
    However I would not want to support a company that uses such anti-consumer chicanery, since that would reward their bad behavior, and encourage other companies to use similar schemes.

• Georgysmom
    9 years ago

I use my Keurig to make hot chocolate and tea as well as coffee. We're not big coffee drinkers so I didn't think I needed a Keurig. All my friends have them so I finally broke down and got one. Love it. Every now and then DH or I feel like a cup of coffee so it's great for that. When I have a group of people like for bridge or a luncheon, I make a pot of regular and use the Keurig for those who want decaf. For tea, I don't use the K-cups, I just use a regular tea bag and use the Keurig for hot water. I do the same for hot chocolate, Put the hot chocolate powder in the coffee cup and just run water through the Keurig It's quicker than the microwave or stove top.. I don't know my model # but it's the one with the 3 different cup sizes. I think that's all you need. If you have a BB&B near you, you can use your 20% off coupon. If you ever contemplate the K-cup holder, Amazon has a carousel that is straight up and down and swivels to keep more on the other side. I like it better than the stainless steel one that BB&B carries because it's more compact and takes up less counter space. I think it's $24.99. Think twice about getting the drawer because the Keurig will not fit on top of it under a cabinet. I was clever enough to measure before I bought it but my friend was not. She wound up having to take the drawer out of it's container and putting it in a drawer, but I wouldn't want to give up drawer space for it. Love my carousel, too. Actually a friend gave it to me because she orders her coffee on line and they sent her one free with her order but she already had one.

• Jodi_SoCal
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Great input everyone, keep the comments coming. A special thank you Georgysmom for mentioning the height issue when using the drawer which is something that I was going to get at the same time. I'm pretty sure both would not fit under my cabs which are probably lower than the average because to make them more accessible to short little me.

• sheilajoyce_gw
    9 years ago

My husband bought one for me at Costco for Christmas several years ago. I often will have only one or two cups, and so I don't like to make a pot. When the kids visit, someone might want one cup later in the day, so the Keurig is great for that. I buy the K cups for the kids, but I use the refillable cup and my own coffee for me. The water "tank" holds enough water for several cups of coffee. It offers two water levels for making the cup--mug size and super mug size.

The complaint I hear is from people who like really strong coffee that they cannot get the Keurig coffee as strong as they like it.

• arkansas girl
    9 years ago

That's true sheila, I hear that a lot also! That would be a big consideration for those that like strong coffee!

• WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
    9 years ago

I would not recommend their newest model - the 2.0. The K-cups that have to be used in it are not the ones you can get at most grocery stores. It is very large compared to the previous models of the Keurig. I love my Keurig and my daughter loves it when she is over here. I don't care for the flavored coffees and she loves them, so she buys her own boxes of K-cups to keep here (she doesn't have a Keurig at her house). As stated above, you can get hot chocolate cups, cups with many different teas, etc. It is a great machine IMO, except for the newest model. Mine has adjustment for 5 different size cups/mugs.

• Georgysmom
    9 years ago

I just checked Amazon. The carousel I have is the carousel tower, black. Actually, the sides are an off white. I keep the decaf and tea pods on one side and the regular coffee pods on the other. It holds 30 k-cups and takes up little space. It swirls around on the base. Love it. The drawer and the Keurig actually will fit under the cabinet, you just can't lift the lid on the Keurig. LOL As to the strength of the coffee, some coffees you buy are stronger than others, and if you use the smaller cup option your coffee will be stronger.

• Lindsey_CA
    9 years ago

Jodi, I know you said that you and your hubs each only drink one cup of coffee each day, but the coffee industry considers 5 to 6 oz to be a cup (and that's not really very much!). I use a coffee mug that holds 12 ounces, so that's two cups, as far as the coffee industry is concerned.

Rather than buying a Keruig, have you considered buying a 4-cup coffee maker? I have a KitchenAid 4-cup coffee maker, and it makes enough for two mugs of coffee for me. I don't think KitchenAid still sells the 4-cup coffee maker that I have, but they now have what they refer to as a "personal" coffee maker. Here's a review of it on You Tube

• kathyg_in_mi
    9 years ago

Love our Keurig, but here is a hint. We bought a rolling plant holder and set our Keurig on it. Now when we want to use it we just pull it forward then push it back under the cupboard. Works wonderful! The plant holder came from Kmart and just has a wooden top with rollers.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

IMO, the best electric coffee maker is still this one: Just make sure you don't' grind beans too too fine.

• Jodi_SoCal
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I'm really only looking for suggestions and information for the Keurig brewers. We already have a couple other coffee makers. But ... my husband of almost 42 years, who never, ever asks for anything, ever, has mentioned that he wants a Keurig. I'm going to get him a Keurig. I'm just tickled pink I will for once get him something that he really wants.

We have very little counter space and I really detest clutter on the counters. Right now we store everything that we don't use on a daily basis and only bring it out when needed. If we will be using the Keurig daily, it will have to fit comfortably under the cabinet in a corner as hidden as possible. I will definitely check the height of any Keurig I'm considering because our cabinets are slightly lower than normal. If I can't find a machine that is short enough, the new Keurig will be assigned to my hubby's office where he can enjoy it at least five days a week. I personally don't care if I have to drink instant coffee to start my day as I've been doing just that for the last 20+ years.

• marylmi
    9 years ago

Love my one cup Mini Keurig! Itis a little over eleven inches tall. Makes a 6. 8, or 10 oz. cup.

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    9 years ago

I've had my Keurig maybe 4- 5 years? and love it. ( I have a stainless steel percolator too but I can't remember the last time it was used, it's in a cupboard in my laundry room. Also a 36 C buffet pot available to me when I need it) My sister in law had Keurigs at home and at her weekend house and found one in red, her accent color in her kitchen. So she gave me one of hers that was maybe a year old, making it about 6 now so the model number (#B66) probably wouldn't help you. I've read the Vue doesn't take the generic cups, but there was such an uproar about that I doubt the trend will last. I have all different brands k-cups, the one DH likes best is a Safeway own store product. If anything fails on this Keurig I'll replace it with another.

I do have the cup storage drawer and my coffee maker won't slide under my cabinet sitting on it. I knew that when I bought it but I found one in red (also my kitchen accent color) and have my fruit bowl on top ;) I like a pretty streamlined sparse counter but I have lots of them so its not a problem.

• eld6161
    9 years ago

I am not sure of the model, but I have a large one. A tip that we learned from the salesman was to let hot water go through for the first cup. It ensures the rest following it will be really hot. It also helps clean it too,

There were not as many choices when I bought my first Keurig. They will all basically do the same thing. Look for the features that you want. I am not sure if they all come with a k-cup that you can put your own coffee into, mine has one stored in the top. It is great when you have people over as one can have decaf, the next regular, tea etc.

I would measure your space and go from there. We really love the convenience of it.

As with every coffee, you need to experiment and find the k-cups coffee that you like. My favorite is Emeril's Jazzed Up Decaf, my DH like Green Mountain Breakfast Blend. It might take a few tries to find what you like, but you will.

Nothing seemed to work for us. I was not good at percolating, drip pot were okay but DH found his coffee went stale, even with storing it properly and it goes on and on. For many years DH went out for and brought home coffee. Many years I drank tea in the morning if I didn't want to wait.

The Keurig works for us and it's super quick and easy. If you don't want to bother with the filter, you can take it out but have to use filtered water. we have this right from our sink.

• Rudebekia
    9 years ago

I love the single cup Keurig. Mine is going on about 4 years and still works great. I drink 2 cups/day. The single cup machine is very small, cute, and efficient. You just fill your coffee mug with water, pour it in the top, put in the pod, and press the button. I enjoy trying different types of coffee, but my go-to favorite is Dunkin' Donuts regular.

• User
    9 years ago

I am a coffee nut. I have a stove top perc, French press, regular Kitchenaid drip, espresso machine and a tassimo and a keurig. My Keurig is the special edition one. It makes 3 sizes of coffee. I"m very picky with coffee and the only kind I'll drink is Emerils Big Easy Bold. It's very strong and very bold and perfect for me. I hate that the cups are not recyclable. I try to make only 1 or 2 cups a day with it. Otherwise, I set my kitchenaid up the night before to make a full pot so I can have one coffee before I go to work, and then I fill my travel mug for work. We also have a keurig at work. I make 1 coffee a day there too. You can, however, buy reusable coffee filters to keep the K-cups out of the landfills. Personally, for me, I don't like my coffee made that way. I can't seem to get the taste just right. Yes, I'm picky. The Tassimo is going soon. I finally talked my husband into giving it up. Four coffee machines on the counter is 3 too many.........

• roseluver
    9 years ago

I have the single Keurig coffee maker. I bought the reusable cup so I can use my own coffee and make it as strong or weak as I want to. I also use it to make hot chocolate and apple cider. Always a fresh cup when you want it.

• Toni S
    9 years ago

I haven't read all of the responses but see you are concerned about cabinet height. We had that problem too but just pulled the whole coffee maker out a few inches. I put my little bag of ground coffee behind the Keurig with a bottle of honey, which I use in my evening tea. I put extra coffee flavor cups in a OXO container. I'm almost sure this is the platinum Keurig. One of the older versions. I do use it more than I thought I would. It can make plain ol hot water if thats what you want. My husband who can drink his 10 cup, straight black coffee, in the morning likes to make a flavor in my Keurig every afternoon. I have found Golden French Toast and cafe Mocha together, makes great cold coffee too. photos in comments!

• threejs
    9 years ago

Any Keurig coffee maker with 2. and up will not use all brands of coffee. You cannot use the refillable coffee cups that are expensive enough on their own for what they are. Walmart had them 4 for 16.99. The machine with the large

72 oz. reservoir, leaves water sitting if you don't use it, might be ok in the winter but I don't like the thoughts of adding water to sitting water just to make a coffee. I bought Keurig® 2.0 K500 Brewing System at Costco at Christmas time as a gift and it took over 8 minutes for one half a cup of coffee to finally come through. We did everything the instructions said to a T before using it. The water filters were done right the coffee cup lined up right, etc. Ended using 7 of the k cups and not one did its' job. Tried a hot chocolate, instructions say you must run the machine through without coffee to clean out machine, before, and after making flavored drinks. Did that, it was not drinkable. Maybe that is why they have such a large reservoir. Took it back and got a refund day after boxing day. Height was also a problem here, it had to be pulled out to the end of the counter to be used. That in itself wasn't a big issue, but something we took into consideration on our next purchase. This week I bought a HAMILTON BEACH 2 Way FlexBrew Coffeemaker with a two way system, either brew a regular pot of coffee on one side or a cup with the k cup on the other side. Works like a charm. Also will accept any or all of the different brands of coffee, along with the k cup refillable units that I had purchased. Hope Hubby has a water source in his office!

• Jodi_SoCal
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Toni, it's nice to see another Fire & Ice kitchen.

I just measured the distance between the counter and cabinets and it is 16". I found a combo that might work for us ... the Keurig K10 Mini Plus, and an under the brewer mini-k-cup drawer. I can get those two items plus Keurig My K-Cup resusable coffee filter for $119.77. The mini coffee brewer plus the drawer comes to about 15".

• redcurls2
    9 years ago

I think the Mini Plus is a great little machine. It is a nice step up from the plain mini. It is the one my granddaughter asked me to get her for her dorm room and it comes in lots of colors. We have the Keurig Platinum Model with 3 different size possibilities and a decent size reservoir. I will NOT buy the new style that reads the label to assure you only use their "approved" brands and cannot use the little device which allows you to brew ordinary ground coffee.. (Yes, I know there is a work-around to hack the system.) So, once this machine dies, I will buy a different brand even though I love my Keurig..

• marylmi
    9 years ago

Just looked at mine again and it is the Mini Plus . Love it and the pretty burgundy color of it. :) I have the reusable basket which I haven't tried yet.

• Toni S
    9 years ago
    I use my own ground coffee in the keurig quite often. Works fine for me. Even though it has 5 cup sizes, the two largest are my go to's. Take out the bottom cup stand for my big cup!
    Jodi, I bet the Mini plus is the right one for you. Later you'll know if you want something bigger. (There are lots of college kids looking for mini's to buy)
  • arkansas girl
    9 years ago

Jodi, GORGEOUS kitchen! I don't have a model suggestion but I do think it's important to be able to select a size(3) and to be able to use all brands of cups. Those are two things I'd be sure and have if I bought one. It would probably also be advantageous to hold enough for two servings at a time.

• joyfulguy
    9 years ago

Friend gave me a one-mug machine ... I think by Black and Decker.

Flip the cover up, lift the reusable strainer/filter, dump yesterday's (or earlier today's) grounds, replace the filter, dump in bulk coffee in the amount that suits you, pour mug of water into the reservoir by the filter carrier, flip down the lid, put mug on pad under filter carrier, push button.

Coffee ready in about a minute.

Cost ... about 2 cents? 4 cents?

About 2 lb. M-H costs about $6.99 on sale. When I open a can, pack the grounds into about 4 jam jars, pack grounds down tightly, to expel as much air as possible. Lasts quite a while ... well over a month - maybe 2?

Not being a Coffee Connoisseur ... I use a larger amount when the filter's empty, but leave the grounds and add some more for the next mug, for about a half dozen mugs (till the carrier gets so full that the blowing steam blasts some o' the grounds out into the water reservoir: time to dump the filter and start over) at the rate of 3 or 4 mugs per day.

Investment advisor said several years ago to buy Green Mountain Coffee Roasters, GMCR, who bought Keurig: I didn't ... but should have. Check recent years' price levels on Yahoo Finance, write "GMCR" near top left where there's a box labelled "Get quotes", when "GMCR" and data show, click on the letters, then under the box that shows a graph of today's quotes, click on various months' or years' quotes.

Same with Starbucks - didn't then, either.

ole joyfuelled ... with help from a plebeian cup o' joe

P.S. I live within a couple of miles of Canada's largest city's "landfill" (i.e. 'dump' ... then 'dump', again: a double "four-letter-word").

o j

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Someone just posted this, recall of Keurig Mini

• Jodi_SoCal
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Well, doggonit! I was just getting ready to order. Thanks for posting Tibbrix.

• joyfulguy
    9 years ago

Hi Jodi ... aren't ya glad that ya got the "bit" message from someone ...

... before ya "bot"?

Lots o' good info flies around this place!

o j

• nodakgal
    9 years ago

I looked at the minis too, that is why I didn't buy one. They could be all sold out of the system by now, but IDK.

• redcurls2
    9 years ago

That recall was a while ago, and I imagine the ones sold now are NOT involved (Isn't it even ILLEGAL to sell recalled items even at a yard sale??) . By the way, the K-cup device to brew your own ground coofee is not as good as the SOLO or ECKOBREW (I think that is the brand) device. For use of the Keurig one, you have to remove a part on your machine (not hard to do) but the other brands work just like a K-cup.. Check reviews at Amazon or Bed, Bath and Beyond.

For the small difference in price, "I" would buy the Elite (which I have in our vacation condo) because it has the water reservoir, but if space is a consideration, the Mimi Plus is half the size of the Elite.

• threejs
    9 years ago

With the huge amount of units sold for the mini the chances of you getting one now that is a recall would be very slim. The recalled ones are all listed by model number on the above site and the recall was issued for these dates. " Recalled units were produced between December 2009 and July 2014 and
    can be identified by the serial number printed on a white sticker on the
    bottom of the brewer: "

• terilyn
    9 years ago

I drink a LOT of coffee, can you tell? I love my Keurig. Bought a backup that isn't 2.0 so I can use other brands of coffee when this one dies.

• Jodi_SoCal
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes, after I read the recall I realized it was a few months old and likely there are no bad units out there anymore. But, the more I think of it, the more I want to go with the Elite (thanks Redcurls). Didn't know that any other model besides the Mini Plus would accept other cup brands. Plus, didn't realize the mini held so little water.

Everyone has been so helpful!

• Toni S
    9 years ago
    The elite and the platinum(the one I own) are very similar . I am fairly certain I haven't had to change a thing on it to be able to use my own ground coffee. I just put it in the empty k cup, pop it in the machine and press brew. Nothing to it. It's not anything special, just fast and I'm not making anymore than the cup I'm wanting.
  • Jodi_SoCal
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I ordered an Elite today ... now, I can't wait to give it to hubby for Father's Day.

• Rudebekia
    9 years ago

I prefer the Mini because it has doesn't hold water--you put in a new cup of water for each cup brewed. I've had too much experience with water sitting for days in coffee machines. . .

• val (MA z6)
    9 years ago

Terilyn, I have an old Keurig I've had for years. My daughter and I like different coffee flavors, so I love the versatility of making one cup at a time (also FRESH coffee so much better) and was thinking of buying another backup for when this dies..dont want the one that will only accept Keurig pods...that's just so they can make more money. I am going with a smaller unit, tho.

Jodi - Have enjoyed all the input here. Thanks, for posting -- ENJOY your Keurig!

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    9 years ago

Just a heads up for anyone wanting one. Just got my Big Lots email flier and they got a buy out of Keurig Elite K40 machines in the stores for a price so low it can not be published. So you might want to check that out. I buy a lot of stuff there, great prices for great name brands. IF you have their rewards card there is also a coupon right now for $10 off of $50 easy to sign up for one.

My husband drinks a full pot of coffee every day at home and also has a pot at work he is a coffee lover big time. So for us the one cup machines are not worth it. I have one from a few years ago that was a big deal back then and it is in a box stored somewhere I think I used it once. I drink only one glass a day of iced coffee with mocha sugar free dairy free creamer.

• Chi
    9 years ago

I gave my grandparents one for Christmas a few years back. It was one of my biggest gift hits ever! They say they use it every single day and think of me whenever they do. I'm sure your husband will love it, Jodi!

• arcy_gw
    9 years ago

Curious not one negative review. There was an article recently on the amount of waste these machines have produced. So much the inventor sold the patten in embarrassment. I think I would have continued to resist had I read that article a year ago. I was the last of my siblings to give it a go. I did not want the cup storage to take up space on my limited cupboards so I opted for a drawer to set my Kureg on. BIG MISTAKE. It never occurred to me I would be lucky to fit JUST the machine under the uppers!! Mine slides forward w/o a plant mover. I just give'er a tug. Anyone know how long they last? I can't say mine fulfilled all my coffee dreams so will not replace it once it breaks. The cost per cup is very prohibitive and I am not finding the quality of the coffee "worth" it for me. I drink 1-3 cups each morning. I could dump a lot of coffee and come out ahead I have decided. I tried all the fill them yourself cups,etc. and found the coffee very lacking. Why did the coffee from my sister's Kureg taste sooooooo good but mine is so so?

• arkansas girl
    9 years ago

If I'm not mistaken, if you use the fill it yourself cups/filters, you need to grind the coffee to a very fine powdery consistency. Anyone have an opinion on this? That could be why the fill yourself filters aren't working?

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County