SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
syntria

Garden Planning - 8 Raised Beds and Texas Heat

syntria
9 years ago
last modified: 9 years ago

Need some help planning where to put what, and ideas as to how to fill my garden to capacity this year. I've been thinking for days and I'm a little overwhealmed figuring out what to do.

Garden 2015 · More Info

So I currently have 8 raised beds, filled with a mix of compost (80% compost (composted wood chips, oyster shell, chicken poo, worm castings, grass clippings, and more all well broken down - sparingly few large particles), 20% soil/loom/clay). 2 of these beds are 12'' tall, and the rest are 6'' tall. The soil under it is dense clay, though I've tilled in some organic matter to break it up another 3-6'' prior to filling the beds and to help improve drainage (I did have drainage issues last year). The clay soil is chalk full of earthworms and my established beds are also crawling with bugs (hopefully mostly the good kind).

My plans this year...

• 8 varities of peppers, one 4x8 bed (6'' )
  • 6 varities of tomatoes, one 4x8 bed (12'' )
  • 3-4 varities of cukes, one 4x8 bed (6'' )
  • 3-4 varities of squash, one 4x8 bed (6'' )
  • Strawberries, Junebaring, one 4x4 bed ( 6'' )
  • Asparagus, 2yr Root Crowns, one 4x4 bed (6'' )

Currently my beds (well, one of them) are planted with Kale, Edamame, Radishes, and Peas. I'm really bad at doing cold-season stuff, but want to improve. So I need to start working on my fall-winter gardening plan as well if anyone has any suggestions.

This leaves me with two beds to fill, one 12'' bed and one 6'' bed. Is it too late to start potatoes? Would they do better in the deep bed or is the shallow one fine with hilling? What are some other options here? Temps are getting into the 80's but are in the 50's at night.

I'll also be growing herbs mixed in with the above plants, basil in the tomatos for example. Last year I had two basil plants as tall as me in my tomato bed!

Ideas for what else to grow, particular species that do well in the Dallas area, and so on?

Comments (15)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!