SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
patrickometry

Raised Bed Soil PH 8.2!!!

Patrickometry
12 years ago

What should I do?

I built some raised beds for growing vegetables and herbs the square foot garden way, and I bought two scoops of a planting mix a local gardening supply store had created. They told me they often sold it to local public schools for their student gardens.

Over the last 7 weeks or so I tried growing various fall vegetables from seeds and from transplants but the transplants never grew. Only some radishes and a dwarf variety of snap peas grew from seed.

Well, I tested the soil through my county extension service and it just came back..

Soil pH: 8.2 !!!

Phosphorous: 266 Very High

Potassium: 1524 Very High

Magnesium: 827 HIGH

It recommends applying nitrogen at 2 to 3 lb/1000 sq.ft.

I had already resowed some fall veggies a couple weeks ago after pulling up the transplants that weren't growing. I thought maybe the hot sun had stunted growth or that I, as a beginning gardener, was doing something wrong, but I now know the soil I bought is just bad.

Here's my question:

Should I remove the 'planting mix' with the soil ph of 8.2 and replace it or is it possible to lower the ph permanently and quickly???

I called the owner of the garden supply store and he questioned the test from my county extension. However, the University of Kentucky College of Agriculture did the test so their results should be legit, yes? He mentioned that others have had this problem with his planting mix and when I bought it from him he gave me a free small bag of fertilizer specifically high in nitrogen so it sounds like he knew he was selling me problematic soil. I'm so angry at myself and at the owner of the store. He offered to retest my soil then add amendments or replace half or even give me my money back.

What should I do? I want to grow veggies in the Spring and I want what I though I was paying for: good dependable balanced soil. :/

Comments (24)