SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jenibufford

Cherry and White Granite Kitchen Reveal - Lots of Photos!

9 years ago

First of all- this is a thank you post to the Gardenweb forum. I got so many great ideas from this forum as I was choosing everything for my remodel, that I wanted to share my final result on the forum. Hopefully others will be able to use it!

Our remodel started with a flood in our sunroom, which resulted in a need to replace flooring, which resulted in a full flooring, kitchen, and fireplace remodel. I guess that's how it goes. :-)

Here is a before pic:

And here are some after:

The huge bar it is great for our family of five, as well as for
entertaining. It is all one piece of granite- River White comes in
massive slabs! We added 6 inches to the length of the counter and moved the sink.

We love having an open floor plan, so our kitchen wasn't a big change as far as the floor plan goes.
The Blanco Precis Super Single sink was definitely inspired by Gardenweb. I was nervous about it, but I love it. I had been used to washing and leaving dishes to dry in our double sink, but I do more drying and putting away as I go. I had ordered the Biscuit color, but at the last minute I changed it to White, which I am glad of- it goes very well with the River White Granite.
Its a pretty small kitchen, but it works for us. We had previously had a corner sink, and moved it around the corner to the bar. It made a big difference in floor space.
White appliances! We like them, what can we say.
Here is a good view of the granite. We wanted marble, but this is a good replacement. I liked that this slab is fairly uniform and simple. The honed finish has been easy to use so far (we've been using it for a few months now). It has flecks of garnet, and almost a greenish gray tone. I really like it a lot. It looks great with the cherry cabinets.
Roll out drawers! We have two sets of them and they are SO great.
This is my close up of built-in cutting boards that I requested. It isn't usually done in Euro Style Cabinetry, but I use them ALL the time, and so the cabinet company got creative. They made a false front to surround the cutting board and installed the board 3/4 inches farther out than normal.
We love the herringbone backsplash! I had to kind of go through each individual sheet at my local Lowe's because the color varies, but it turned out lovely and looks great with the River White Granite.
This is my favorite spot in the kitchen, I love having a work space next to the stove.

Here is a list of our what we used:

Custom Shaker cherry cabinets from W.L. Rubottom Cabinets in Ventura, CA

Color- Fruitwood

Hardware- Amerock Manor Pull in weathered Nickel

Granite - White Andromeda Granite, I think this is also called River White Granite

We got our granite honed.

Faucet- Kohler K-560-VS Bellera Pull-Down Kitchen Faucet in Chrome

Sink- Blanco BL440150 Precis Super Single Bowl, White

Backsplash- allen + roth Genuine Stone White Marble Natural Stone Mosaic Indoor/Outdoor Floor Tile from Lowes

Flooring- Daltile City View Skyline Gray 12" x 12"
Wood Flooring- Reward Heirloom White Oak Rift and Quartered Natural

Thanks everyone! If you have any questions, let me know, and I will try to answer them.

Comments (42)

• 9 years ago

Thanks palimpsest! Part of me wanted to do a big change in color, but then I loved the cherry color, and it suited our taste. We thought about white, but it seemed like it would get dirty so easily and I am a bit lazy at heart. :-)

• Related Discussions

White & gray kitchen reveal, lots of pics!

Q

Comments (135)
    The measurement is of the counter, not including the doorway. The cabinet to the left of the hood is 15" and to the cabinet to right of the hood is 27".
    ...See More

Kitchen photos- white cabinets, subway tile backsplash, cherry bu

Q

Comments (20)
    Your kitchen is very open and inviting. It all blends together nicely. I like your countertop with your cabinets and BS. The glass cabinets are lovely. I'd like to ask if the muntin are in the glass cabinets line up well with the shelves? It appears so in your case. How are the muntins attached to the glass? Thank you very much and thanks for posting.
    ...See More

Basically done - white and cherry shaker kitchen reveal

Q

Comments (69)
    I have been absent from GW for quite some time, so I apologize for the delay in responding. Thanks to everyone for the kinds words about the kitchen. It's been nearly a year since it was finished and everything about it has been great. lynn2006 - the pullout with lid is by Rev-a-Shelf. The cabinet itself is custom as are all of the cabinets in the kitchen. Barbarav - I am loving all of my appliances. I particularly love the wall ovens, but really all the appliances are great and I'd do it all again the same way. TrueBlue234 - the cabinets are all new nsuep - the paint in the kitchen is Benjamin Moore November Skies. It's really a beautiful color. The tiles are from Heath, color is Frost I think, they are glossy, not frosted. They match perfectly with the paint and the color variation in the tiles is fantastic.
    ...See More

RealHousewifeofNJ's dark cherry kitchen reveal!!

Q

Comments (56)
    What an amazingly beautiful and wonderfully functional kitchen layout and design! I want to cook there!!! Certainly inspires ideas. I gotta keep my wife from seeing this! At least until tax time next year. hehehe
    ...See More
  • 9 years ago

I came out great! Moving the sink over was a great idea. The increased room at the stove must feel like heaven :)

jenibufford thanked Errant_gw
  • 9 years ago

Very nice. I really like the counter/backsplash combo. And do you have the backsplash going right over the door? Very cool. Moving the sink was a really good idea.

• 9 years ago

I love your granite! It's really gorgeous. I also like that you moved the sink as you did. That's exactly what we plan to do, too, for the same reason: to gain more prep room between sink and cook top.

I totally missed the backsplash going up over the door - love it! Thanks for pointing that out blfenton.

• 9 years ago
    Yes, the backsplash does go over the door. I had to fight for it- the contractor didn't think it would work but it really finishes the space. Sometimes we have to trust our vision!
  • 9 years ago

Great space! I love that you fought for and got the back splash over the door! I noticed it right away, it's stunning!

• 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Here is a picture of the backsplash taken from my phone to get an idea of how it looks straight on.

• 9 years ago

I love the cherry/white combo...you don't see it often but we chose it in our kitchen too...not granite though, white patterned Corian. It seems so much brighter than the old space. I bet you love the ease of cleaning those smooth counters instead of the old tile counters. Really nice job!!!

Edited to add that I also love the cast iron on your stove!!!

• 9 years ago

The tile is really beautiful. We are in the middle of a very similar remodel due to a "flood" as well. We just got our counters installed today. I am struggling with the back splash, they couldn't save the old one and so I am now trying to decide what to do. Herringbone is one my of favorite patterns!

jenibufford thanked devonfield
  • 9 years ago

Jenibufford - Thanks for posting the straight on picture of your backsplash over the door - I really like the way it introduces (?) your dining area. It seems to flow with the windows and the sun pouring in through them and the way the floor follows through as well. Good for you for sticking to your vision cause it works.

jenibufford thanked blfenton
  • 9 years ago

Very nice! The granite is beautiful with the cherry...and I like white appliances :)

Is the sunroom in the space past the fireplace, through the French door?

jenibufford thanked Lavender Lass
  • 9 years ago

@lavender_lass- yes the sunroom is past the fireplace. Awesome for liking white appliances! :-) dcward89 we love our cast iron! No need to put it away to make the kitchen tidy for pictures.

• 9 years ago

Blfenton- the backsplash over the door really does frame the view to the dining room. It is quite a small traditional backsplash space, so having that whole wall covered opens it up a lot. Seriously no one thought I should do it, aside from my mom of course :)

• 9 years ago

Love that you were able to do a bright, homey, somewhat country look without the usual suspects! Very very nice.

jenibufford thanked Katie S.
  • 9 years ago

Thanks cas81611! It did seem like it was very against the grain to do the cherry cabinets and keep the white appliances, but I'm glad we did it. They make it unique!

• 9 years ago

Wow, that is amazing! It is really amazing that the countertop is all one slab! It's beautiful. Not only did you find a slab big enough, but I can imagine how careful they had to be in fabrication and transport, especially with the weak spot at the sink.

• 9 years ago

So so bright and pretty! I really like the granite. Nice workaround with the pullout cutting board too! Looks great and, like palimpsest mentioned, authentic. Enjoy!

• 9 years ago

Dovetonsils- thanks! They said it was one of the biggest pieces they've ever installed! The sales guy and template guy came to help the regular installers. I was glad when it finally made it in safe and sound!

• 9 years ago

Beautiful kitchen- love the granite and tile! Were you happy with your GC? If so, would you mind providing his name? I'm also in Ventura county, and it looks like we are back at square 1, looking for a GC.

• 9 years ago

I really like all your choices, everything fits together perfectly! I love seeing a kitchen that is a bit different, and love that you went with what you really liked, rather than with what is most popular at this moment. It looks great. Hope you are enjoying it!

jenibufford thanked jlc712
  • 9 years ago

It looks great! I love the granite choice! Enjoy :)

• 9 years ago

Your kitchen turned out great! I especially love your herringbone back splash. I am in the beginning stages of a redo, and am loving the pics I see of this. Very classy!

• 9 years ago

Cherry and white looks so fresh, it's beautiful. I like that you kept the cabinets over the peninsula...a little more separation for the spaces, but still clear views. One teensy thing...do they make an outlet cover to match the cherry on the island?

• 9 years ago

Gorgeous kitchen. That back splash going up the wall and over the door is fabulous. I've been updating myself on what is current over at Apartment Therapy and I'm seeing a lot of people doing the wall to the ceiling with tile and it always looks amazing. I had also looked at River White Granite as a marble alternative and I think in your kitchen it's the perfect choice with your cabinets.

And don't apologize for white appliances they look just right.

• 9 years ago

LOVELY! I love the backsplash and it all just looks so bright and happy. beautiful job

• 9 years ago

bpathome - good questing about the outlet cover. I haven't figured out what to do there. It's a detail I haven't quite gotten to!

• 9 years ago

That looks like a very happy space! (From another pullout cutting board fan!) My cabinet maker said "no one does those" as he built the two I planned. Oh yeah, my GC and tile guy both thought I was nuts for taking tile to the ceiling, too, but I think it looks great. Congrats on standing your ground!

• 9 years ago

Yay for pull-out cutting boards! Enjoy it. I love mine. While the don't work in all spaces, I am glad you kept our uppers over the peninsula. I have always liked that look and it isn't done much anymore. And I love the backsplash going over the door as it makes your kitchen so streamlined and cohesive. Very clever. And your sink is gorgeous!

• 9 years ago

Thanks funkycamper- there was talk of taking out the uppers over the peninsula but we loved them and they store half the kitchen! Totally glad we kept them. We wound up matching the cabinets to them and keeping the old frames and replacing the doors. We replaced all of the rest of the cabinets in Euro style and it worked fine. Euro frames don't work well for those kind of uppers - not strong enough I guess!

• 9 years ago

Now those are true craftsman cherry cabinets. Stunning wood with the fruitwood stain. Then you have the herringbone marble backsplash I want! I have to check out lowes. I love the cabinet pulls how they look the same size as a peice of the gray marble tile. Moving over the sink and squaring up that corner worked wonders. Beautiful. Oh and I almost forgot, the turquoise scale is not only functionable but so stinkin cute! Thanks for the reveal!

jenibufford thanked rebunky
  • 9 years ago

lori_inthenw_gw I looked and looked for ideas for built-in cutting boards and there were almost none! I guess it isn't done much. This false front design worked great though- they added it after the cabinets were installed. Pull out cutting boards are so awesome I use them every day!

• 9 years ago

Interesting about the built-in cutting boards not being popular? My kitchen that was built in the very early 50's has one and that is one of the very few things on my absolute must have list for my new kitchen. I love it, not only for cutting on, but in my "very short on counter space" kitchen, I quite often use it for a temporary landing space for various reasons.

• 9 years ago

My grandmother's house, built in 1947, had a few built in boards. The current owners replaced the kitchen, but practically replicated it complete with all the cutting boards. They are handy!

• 9 years ago

@beth09, there was a recent discussion about built-in cutting boards here and I was surprised that there were people who didn't like them. I was also surprised about how many of them had major concerns about sanitation with them. Mine haven't made me sick yet.

Every older kitchen I've had, including my current one, has had those type of cutting boards. I love them. I have three in my current kitchen and they are one reason why I'm reusing my cabinet boxes as I'm not finding these type of cutting boards in newer cabinet lines unless you go custom, definitely not in my budget. I hope you have better luck finding them in the cabinet line you choose.

• 9 years ago

@funkycamper, I will have to look that discussion up. I haven't gotten sick yet either, and not only do I have the cutting board, I leave my butter out. All the time.... sshhh, don't tell anyone. ;)

The line of cabinets I have preliminarily looked at is Bertch. The local lumberyard I "might" go with carries them. They have a cutting board, so I guess I just assumed every line did. Thanks for the heads up, I would be bummed if I couldn't have that. And I would put more than one in my new kitchen if I thought there would be room. But seriously not sure there will be another spot. We are talking tight. :/

• 9 years ago

I leave my butter out, too. Watch out for lightening strikes! :)

We have limited lines available locally in my small, rural area. I should have been more clear as I think one line had the possibility but the custom charge for it was crazy. And so were the cabinet prices, imho.

Enjoy your butter, breadboard and new kitchen!

• 9 years ago

@funkycamper and @beth09 I leave my butter out too! Lol. I was pretty perplexed about the cutting board thing. I grew up in a cabinet maker family and so our kitchen (in all it's remodeled forms) always had a plethora of pull out boards. They are a must have in my opinion and strange that they fell out of favor. Never ever had food poisoning issues!

• 9 years ago

;)

• 9 years ago

River White, pull-out breadboards, and butter that sits out all the time... we must all be related!

• 9 years ago

@Errant_gw - awesome. We know what's good. :-)

• 9 years ago

lol!!