SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
oldmangroot

Callisia Repens is killing my lawn

oldmangroot
9 years ago

Hi all,

I bought a house a couple of years ago, with a very neglected yard in South Florida (10b). I've been working hard to bring it back to life the last few years - fertilizer, fixing the irrigation system, picking up leaves during the fall, etc. For a few years it went great - grass got greener and lusher, grew fast, and spread into areas that were just dirt and weeds beforehand.

At the start, I noticed what I think is callisia repens growing in the grass (St. Augustine). I occasionally fought with it, but after a while realized it mostly grew wherever grass didn't, in places too dry or too dark for grass. I left it alone.

Fast forward three years. After this unusually wet winter, c. repens has started to spread so far and so fast it is killing the grass. Whole sections of yard that were once well-grassed have been overgrown and the grass killed. I spent this weekend trying to pull it, and probably pulled out 30 or 40 pounds of c. repens - and barely made a dent.

My question: how do I win this war against this plant? Pulling it trades a short-term win for a long-term defeat. A few weeks after pulling out gallons and gallons of the stuff, it comes back more dense and stronger than ever. There is also just too much of it for this approach to work. It practically grows faster than I can pull. Spraying roundup seems to have little effect, and would kill what little grass is left. Weed-and-feed makes me nervous (bad for the environment, may not work, and I have plants and fruit trees I've put into the yard as well). Any ideas? I'll try anything at this point!

Thanks!

Comments (7)