SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
davidrt28

A few pictures of unusual and/or unique Hollies at Rutgers

davidrt28 (zone 7)
9 years ago
last modified: 9 years ago

This is broken off from other threads where Dave in Nova and I were talking about Ilex chinensis.
Here is a picture of the biggest one at Rutgers:

As you can see, it was burnt by this winter. And massively browsed by deer, as were most hollies in this area. I had to walk through ground completely coated in deer dung to get these pictures. Fortunately there were piles of snow in the parking lot to do the old clean the shoe treads trick and not track it back into my car.
Close up of the damage:

I'm sure they will be ok but as a practical matter this limits their cultivation to, probably, the mildest parts of zn 6. Supposely this part of New Jersey just barely manages zone 7, and I doubt they look like this every winter. They didn't look damaged in December so they'd either outgrown any damage from 2013-2014 or it wasn't as bad. Still probably not something you'd be happy with in say, Buffalo. When it was fully green in December, it was vaguely subtropical looking.
Oddly all 3 or 4 of these are described this way:

I think they just mean it's an open pollinated Ilex chinensis. Most people in Rhododendron-world just say "Ilex chinensis OP"; this makes it sound like it was deliberately crossed with something else that was a mongrel holly of some kind.
Here is a picture of the supposed Ilex perado.

Some burn but not as bad. I need to pull out my Bailes holly book to see if I can verify the species but it looks broadly correct...AL Jacobsen notes that the leaves are only 2-4" in perado var. perado; it's the supposedly hardier perado var. platyphylla with the giant leaves. (AL Jacobsen's book North American Landscape Trees is the only I keep by my computer for instant reference! Such a great volume!) If nothing else this could also be open pollinated but at least 50% perado. I don't particularly like the look but it is vaguely, ummmm, Mediterranean or even Macaronesian, and certainly no other plants from that archipelago are going to grow in New Jersey!
Finally a close up my favorite rare holly in this collection, which may not exist anywhere else in the world for all I know...such a hybrid is certainly not in the Bailes book or any online reference:

This hybrid is 'Fosteri' X aquifolium. In December it was a very distinguished dark, glossy green. It has a bit of winter injury but nothing too serious. I think this would be a great formal, large hedging holly anywhere in more sheltered gardens in the lower Mid-Atlantic. The plant for itself looks terrible but all of these non-native hollies are poorly cared for, it's as though Rutgers only cares about the Ilex opaca which are in an entirely different part of the garden and seemingly protected from deer.

They also have a couple opaca X aquifoliums, but I do not like the look of those as much,
Finally they have an Ilex integra X I. aquifolium, which is larger and also not too winter damaged.

All of these aquifolium hybrids look much better than the pure aquifoliums, which along with the Ilex chinensis are some of the most burnt looking hollies in the collection. It seems Ilex aquifolium does not pass its tenderness onto its offspring particularly well, which is a good thing.

One other observation: Wirt L Winn, the Koehneana holly, was one of the only that still had most of its berries left, showing that birds don't like them. I see the same thing with my Ilex opaca vs. my Koehne hollies. The birds devoured the native berries long ago. They still haven't touched most of the Koehne berries. They just taste particularly awful, I suppose.

And finally: yes I was going to the area for another reason. One does not pay the cost of driving the NJ Turnpike just to post some pictures of obscure hollies to gardenweb!

Comments (26)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH