SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
muchtolearn

Fruit in containers: Size to use? Size as tree size control mechanism?

muchtolearn
9 years ago

There are many online resources that talk about growing fruit trees and bushes in containers and how to go about this. However, there is one topic they practically always skip: What container size to use?

My understanding is that it is not just a matter of such-and-such a container size is suitable for this variety on that kind of rootstock; it's also the case that container size will affect tree size achieved.

For example, let's suppose a tree with a rootstock that's 50% of standard is put in a container that can support a tree of, say, 35% of standard. My understanding is that in such a case the tree will grow to around 35% of standard before leveling off. Although it does not achieve its full size potential, such a tree will usually bear fruit normally, just in a quantity that's more consistent with a 35% tree than a 50% tree.

Can someone here provide some guidelines as to the relationship between container size and tree size (i.e., how big the tree is when it reaches maximum size for that container size)?

Also, I should add that I'm thinking in terms of using SmartPots or a similar fabric pot filled with pretty good soil and embedded in the ground. (Presumably they can support a slightly larger tree than a solid plastic pot kept above ground.

Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Comments (3)