SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
missing_tooth

Help Me Get Familiar & Friendly With my New Plants PLEASE!

missing_tooth
9 years ago

If people good with plants are called having "green fingers", mine must be a serious shade of maroon or yellow. I have a very bad reputation for massacring plants. Nothing lasts with me despite my immense love for nature. I went for the most formidable, strongest and heroic resistant flora and even those didn't survive with me. I must be doing something wrong. The only ones that DID survive and still survive (knock on wood) are the ones in my office and that's probably because I assigned a guy to come and take care of them.

Well anyway, I decided I'm so stubborn I insist on making it work this time so my new four victims are the ones you see in the picture. I went for this variety in particular because they're claimed to be the best in terms of purifying the indoor climate. From left to right: Rubber plant, Areca, (unidentified plant #3) and Aloe Vera.

I have the utmost good intentions for these 4 plants. I just need someone to tell me in simple english (with very few jargon) how to maintain a healthy ambience for them.

This is what I am currently doing:

• Water each plant on Saturdays (once a week). I don't know how much I should be watering to be honest but I notice the water comes out slightly from the bottom of the pot indicating probably the plant is thirsty. I leave the soil looking wet but never drowning.
  • I spray all the leaves with water and wipe dust and dirt every Saturday (I live in a very hot desert climate)
  • I leave the window open for enough sunlight to come in and it shows clearly in the picture how much sunlight is coming in (not really much since I have a huge tree growing in front of my balcony).
  • Last but not least, I play classical music or forest atmosphere soundtracks to make them feel at home (this is meant as a joke obviously but it's something I really do).

I might also mention that since I live in a very very hot desert climate. The AC must be on for the most part of the year and unfortunately the duct is directly on top of them. I am considering closing the openings on one side that is directly on top of them in case that is not good for them.

Wow, I wrote an essay. Anyway, I'm ready. Talk to me people. Make me learn...

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County