SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bananafan2

Lychee web worms attack!

bananafan2
9 years ago

I have been greatly saddened to see my Brewster lychee tree covered with loads of blooms ... only to be destroyed by the web worms. They are relentlessly sucking out the juice out of every single bloom and causing them all to wilt and drop off. My heart broke as I swept away loads and loads of withered blooms ...

In the past, I've tried Neem oil, but only to cause all the blooms to drop off as well.

Of late, I came to learn of a spray, BT caterpillar control (Thuricide) that won't hurt bees I was told. I've just started spraying on them and will probably do it twice weekly, but I don't know if it's too late and if I can even save any for fruit production this year.... I read that their activities actually start as early as November and then all through the Spring to eat and reproduce. They'll normally chow on the blooms and new growth. Then they go into dormancy getting ready to attack next year's blooms. How awful that is ...

Anyway, I just wanted to post this so I can learn from some of you who know how to treat this problem and for those who have just started lychee planting to start looking out for this problem. One outward sign is blooms wilting off and webs spun around the blooms and new growth. At first it may be inconspicuous ... you'll have to look at it very closely to notice it, but as the population increases, it's hard to ignore their presence.

If you have any ideas, will appreciate your comments on this.

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Trish Takacs Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars36 Reviews
Award Winning & Highly Skilled Kitchen & Bath Designer in Columbus