SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bananafan2

More than 10 years old Mauritius Lychee not fruiting

bananafan2
8 years ago

I planted this Mauritius Lychee in 2006 when it was a few years old. It's been 10 years in the ground and it almost never fruits. I've only tasted a few of its fruit last year and that was it.

This year, it's sending out a lot of new flushes, but there's hardly any sign of bloom spikes--only a few very tiny ones with this large tree!

I have been wondering what went wrong. Here's a couple of pictures--in 2006 and now. There are two reasons i thought might be the reason. One, it was damaged badly in a freeze in 2010. Second, the soil PH is too alkaline because of the concrete slabs around it? I'm not too sure.

As to the pruning, I do it every year. I often take off more than 7" off the tips--sometimes as much as 2 feet because of its straggly branches.

Would appreciate any insight you might have .. I'm thinking of chopping off this tree if there's nothing else I can do for it, so I can plant other thing that will bear fruit for me .. lol. My Sweetheart and Brewster are doing ok. Sweetheart was slow to start, but this year, I'm happy to see may blooms on it now. Keeping my fingers crossed for good fruit formation though.

# 1 - Mauritius 10 years in the ground now. A lot of new flushes, but only a few small bloom spikes. It seems to be doing the same thing year after year.

#2 - The same plant when first planted in 2006.

#3 - After the freeze in 2010 (all the crown was damaged except a few lower branches that survived).

Comments (37)

Sponsored
Integrity Woodworking Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry Professionals