SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bananafan2

My lychee trees latest update

bananafan2
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

These are some pictures of my Lychee Brewster today. I would say more than 75% of fruit dropped because of the

webworm attack. Without the spraying of BT, I think the blooms wouldn't even survive and form fruit. I'm just glad that

some fruit have remained. Maybe I'll have some fruit this season. I'm thankful for my hubby who did all the spraying for weeks. The seeds of Brewster are big, but this variety

seems to produce more fruit than the other varieties I have.

I don't think it's a variety problem as Puglvr's Mauritius is

giving her lots of fruit.

Front of Brewster:

Back of Brewster:

Close up of the Brewster fruit (The fruit are not quite plumb up yet ... maybe in a couple of weeks which is the right harvest time for this variety).

Mauritius:

As for my Mauritius ... this year is the first of the past several that it has attempted to fruit. Most of its blooms dropped off ... again due to web worm attack. The Oak tree which is host to web worm is just on the background. There's scanty fruit left on the top most branches and the tree is about 14 ft tall. My husband asked me how I was going to get to the fruit, I told him he was going to get them ... lol.

Sweetheart:

Sweetheart has only produced a dozen fruit this year, a little more than last year's few. That was an improvement :)

The tree is now between 14-16 ft tall. The fruit is larger than Brewster's. I tried a couple and they were very juicy, sweet and good tasting. The seeds are also small unlike Brewster's large seeds.

I have planted a couple more Brewster as I've heard because of its prolific fruit production, it's the most commercially grown variety. I guess I want to be sure I have some fruit to eat each season ... , but then I may decide to grow another Sweetheart as I really do like the taste a lot better now. I know ... growing lychees is like chasing some dreams or fantasies ... and so is growing most fruit trees ... I guess the challenge makes the fruit tastes sweeter .. lol.

Please do share your experience with your lychee tree growing as well and how you've dealt with their problems. Thanks, Puglvr for your help with my lychee growing. Since last year, I have followed the pruning and feeding cycle. I'll try to prune and feed them on schedule from
now on and see what happens next year and the year after.

Comments (6)