SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
britnicv

Attn: Username: buehl/Just want to bounce my plan off all of you guys!

britnicv
9 years ago
last modified: 9 years ago

I'm new here but recently I have been spending hours browsing home improvement forums. We are about to take on an unexpected kitchen reno. You guys seem to have an abundance of great ideas/suggestions. I do have things I'm undecided on but I think I have sort of pinned down a plan. Just wanted to use you guys as a sounding board to see if there was anything I missed or any ideas that would never in a million years cross my mind.

A little back story...

We had a drain pipe bust in our kitchen wall behind a long wall of cabinets. It was a slow, non-pressurized leak so I'm not really sure how long the problem had been there. To look at my kitchen right now, you'd never know there was anything wrong. The only evidence of trouble was some bubbling in the drywall in an adjacent laundry room wall. We have since resolved the problem so that damage isn't continuing. We filed a claim with our homeowner's insurance. I had no idea the damage could be as extensive as it was. The adjuster submitted a pretty hefty claim which included replacing all of our cabinets/trim/countertops as well as replacing/repairing drywall and insulation that came in contact with the water. Cue "freak out" mode. Its a big job! More than I was prepared for right now!

I have kitchen reno on my "Someday-to do list". I had some ideas but had not seriously considered a reno/how I would accomplish said ideas. I was in no way prepared to start the process right now. However, with this large sum of money, I don't want to just have everything replaced "as is" since I know there will changes down the road. I will feel this opportunity wasted if I don't at least start edging toward the direction of the final product.

Soooo, I have been in geek out mode on many home forums and pinterest trying to solidify my plan. We have a year to complete the repairs listed on this claim so that does help give me a little time to come up with a plan. Had I been doing this on my own timeframe, I would probably use way more time in the planning phase. This is the hand I've been dealt so I'm attempting to make the best of it.

I have names of several general contractors that I will be consulting with in the near future for bids for this job. I have some money I am willing to invest in addition to the insurance claim but not enough to complete the entire vision I have come up with at this time. I have two young children so my DIY adventures have dramatically decreased, but I am up for any challenge that could stretch this money as far as possible. Not comfortable installing my own cabinets. However, we have completed new flooring ourselves throughout all living areas of our home excluding the kitchen, painted every wall and refinished current kitchen cabinets just to give you an idea of the types of things I'm comfortable doing. I'm the go-getter...my husband would rather hire out.

We have family/friends over quite often for meals (nothing fancy) but we love to get together and have a meal. My house tends to be the meeting place for everyone else to come. My in-laws/extended family will even show up with all the fixins from time to time to prepare everyone a meal at our home. So I'm not the only cook in this kitchen. We have the kids so its easier for us to still accomplish bathtime/bedtime if everyone comes to us. That's just kinda how things have evolved since the arrival of our kids. Plus all their toys are in their playroom.

Things that are needed in new kitchen:

• More electrical outlets-I currently only have two usable outlets and they are at either end of a long span of countertop on the sink wall
  • Lighting over sink
  • Better overhead lighting-currently one long fluorescent fixture- thinking about recessed lights
  • More natural light-bay window?
  • More useful countertop space
  • Better flow through the kitchen to the laundry room-away from the cooking area
  • Get rid of the large pantry cabinet-things get lost forever in there and its right in the middle of what could be valuable countertop space. My new plan does have a more narrow pantry cabinet better placed against a wall and will have pull outs.

Where I need help:

• The most cost effective way to get nice cabinets? We have browsed IKEA(actually created my floor plan using their online program), visited HD and Lowe's for inspiration(no quote, yet), browsed RTA cabinet websites. I have recently submitted my plan to the cabinet joint for a rough estimate to see if that could be a possibility. Could I possibly use a cabinet maker and finish the cabinets myself to save on cost. I figured a cabinet maker is going to be the most expensive route but maybe you guys could shed some light in that area. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
  • Would you guys recommend the use of a general contractor vs. coming up with a plan myself and coordinating with experienced handyman/professionals? I think I will need to enlist a plumber as my current plan requires moving some plumbing down the wall from where it currently stands. And then of course redoing the insulation/drywall and installing cabinets.
  • I am not going high end of the countertops or flooring at this time since we will be completing this reno in stages and it will likely only serve us for a few years until we continue to the next phase. I'm thinking of going back with laminate for now(that's what is quoted for in our claim, its inexpensive and I won't feel so bad about trashing it later) - I currently have bright red dated formica so just getting to pick a better version of the same product would be a great improvement. I will most likely be doing the floors myself as well since I feel comfortable doing that in an effort to save $$.
  • I have changed the layout of my cabinets so that it directs the traffic flow away from the cooking area. I also added a built in desk/device storage/charging area to use as home command center to an expanse of blank wall that is wasted in our current layout. Would like to have the base/tall cabinets a darker sage green with the uppers being cream or a light khaki/gray. Would like to know what you think/any suggestions.
  • I am moving the entry to the laundry more towards the exterior wall and hope to create a larger, bay window behind the sink with the countertop extending into the recessed area.
  • Current plan is to go with a slide in gas range with double oven. Never had anything else. and it works with this layout. Pros/cons of going with wall oven and range top? I may be willing to go ahead and make that purchase. Where in the current plan would you locate wall ovens?-We were planning on keeping our current appliances as they are still in good shape, with upgrades in the future. I know a new fridge will be coming soon so I am planning for the cabinets to be able to fit appliances now but new appliances will also fit in same dimensions. My new fridge will share similar dimensions to my current model but will be counter depth. There are also ranges that I would be happy with that could match the dimensions of my current range.

I have looked at some photos of a kitchen that's almost an exact replica of what I plan to create. We also share almost the same dimensions. It was nice to see it in real life. Mine would feel a tad bit different since it ends with a wall whereas hers is a walk thru.

Username: buehl, I would love to get some feedback on what you like about yours/anything you may change. As well as any other photos you may be willing to share.

There is a wood burning fireplace/chimney on the wall behind the range. Possible future plans include knocking out a portion of that wall and sort of wrapping the bar/countertop into the living area. As well as relocating the side entrance from the carport into the laundry room/kitchen. I am making these changes with that end goal in mind but if it never comes to fruition I think I would be good with the new layout as is.

Any thoughts as to how long a job like this may take? Any tips to help deal with our kitchen being out of commission for an extended period?

I am sharing pictures below that I hope can help make since of all of this. Sorry this is a novel but I'm excited to hear what you guys may have to say. Hold nothing back. Thanks so much in advance!

Kitchen as it is now

Looking out from laundry room door. Please excuse the mess.

New plan sketches

And the IKEA 3D view of the new plan.

Comments (21)