SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
saabturbo99

New seed this spring in areas that had major crabgrass last season

saabturbo99
9 years ago
last modified: 9 years ago

Hi guys,

I want to seed some parts of my lawn this season that had a major crabgrass problem last season. I had trees removed...and soil was brought in...and a lawn wasn't started in some spots, so crabgrass literally took over. In some spots I removed the crabgrass last season. I'm more concerned with, and am specifically asking about the areas where I simply left the crabgrass to die. These areas were literally 90% crabgrass.

In the areas that currently have dead crabgrass, my plan is as follows:

-In early April (I am on Long Island), I will rip/rake out the dead crabgrass.
-Apply new soil/peat moss/etc..and reseed...do typical reseeding procedure.
-At the same time, apply a starter fertilizer with a grass seedling safe crabgrass preventer.
-After 6 or so weeks, the crabgrass preventer in the starter will have "worn off". I can re-apply a seedling safe crabgrass preventer at this point?
-Once I have cut the lawn a few times, I can apply a normal crabgrass preventer, if even necessary at this point (it also may be too late in the season at this point).

Does that sound like a reasonable plan for success? I worry because these areas were literally all crabgrass before, so probably a lot of crabgrass seedlings in the soil...so wonder if the preventer that is safe for grass seed is strong enough to give me a chance of success?

Thanks!!!

Alex

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor