SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
enigma7_gw

Fall seeded....new grass in spring?

enigma7
16 years ago

Hello everyone. As a test for my current fall plans I core aerated, dethatched, scalped, and reseeded a section of my zoysia lawn with fescue. Everything went extremely well and that portion of the lawn is still green to this day (with some patches of zoysia). I plan to do exactly the same with the main lawn this coming fall but had a quick question about the patch I reseeded.

I did this early enough in the fall (and we had a warm pre-winter) that I'm assuming any grass seed that was to germinate did correct? I'm hearing all about winter seeding and understand how it works but I'm wondering if there is the possibility that existing seed didn't germinate in the fall and will come up in the spring?

The reason why is I plan (I promise only this once! as I've switched to an organic program) to put down a synthetic Pre-M on the lawn and had assumed this wouldn't cause any issues since there should be no seed left.

Am I safe in assuming this or should I skip the Pre-M in that spot? It was technically an "overseed" so there aren't any bare spots, just wondering if there will be a sudden sprout of dormant fescue.

Thanks in advance.

Also if anyone could recommend a good Pre-M for the lawn that would be great (knowing I have a mix of fescue and zosyia).

Comments (4)