SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wxtrender

Fall Overseeding Now its Spring

wxtrender
13 years ago

Drought last year really did a number on my builder grade garbage lawn of creeping red fescue and perennial rye. Both do not do well here in eastern PA and are prone to rust. Anyway the drought last summer killed just about 50% of the lawn and unfortunately I have no way of irrigating because usually it rains here every 3 days...

So in early September of last year I reseeded with a slit seeder and a highly rated Kentucky Blue Grass. I then overspread the entire 1/2acre with a screened mix of top soil and what they call in this area mushroom soil and added a starter fertilizer. Now I tried to move a sprinkler around but it was a futile task. SO what happened...it promptly didn't rain for 4 more weeks and then on Sept 30 we got 5+" of rain in one day! So when the heavens decided to open the seed was spread all over in clumps and lumps but as the month of October wore on I could see that lo and behold a lot of the grass actually stayed where I put it and grew into a very short thin cover. Then it got cold and it was all over.

So fast forward to now and I am wondering what to do. Crab grass and poison ivy may as well be the state plants since they grow so well here, but my concern is crab grass. Should I apply a crab grass preventer later here in March? Is there any reason to hope more seed will germinate causing me to not apply a crab grass preventer? And then in early July should I apply another dose of crab grass preventer to keep the summer crab grass down as I have noticed that the crab grass in the summer seems much more noticeable than any in the spring?

Any other advice is welcome.

Thanks

Comment (1)