SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lexiegurl09

How do my seedlings look to you?

lexiegurl09
9 years ago

Hi everyone,

I have been a member for awhile and have gained a lot of valuable information from everyone and I really appreciate it. I am still learning how to start seeds and get everything just right, but each year I continue to improve :) so this year I planted my tomatoes and peppers on February 10 as my last frost date is from March 30-April 10 (NOAA says April 7). So I figured that would give me 7-8 weeks for tomatoes as we almost always have warm enough soil temps by then because it is usually 65-80 for highs in the day and 45-55 at night by mid March. Then that plant date would also give me about 10 weeks for peppers because I usually put them out about 2 weeks after the tomatoes. In years past my stuff usually grew slow, failed, had problems, etc. so that is another reason I started somewhat early to cushion for problems.

Well, apparently this year was a GREAT seed starting year for me and now my plants are literally exploding with a potential 2-3 more weeks for plant out (longer for peppers). I keep them under lights, not grow lights but daytime ? Lights bought from Lowes (I can't remember the exact info on them but they have specs recommended by members here as an alternative to grow lights), and they are on anywhere from 12 hrs a day to 41 hours (41 hours is just on weekends when I cannot get home to cut them off, not ideal I know but I also know no light is bad too- I keep telling myself to invest in a timer...). The temp varies widely from 70-82 depending on the temp in my home at the time because I try to keep the air off when I can and I do have a fan in the room. I decided to start hardening them off today just a little for about 1-2 hours in the shade and gradually increase over the next few days. Anyway, I wanted to show y'all pictures and tell me what you think. I know some of them are somewhat leggy, while some are appropriate (ex. My 1/4 century tomato is only like 4 inches tall and stocky.) please leave feedback and help me improve and keep these plants going.

Also, I have repotted once already on March 5 planting all of the stem in the soil. They are planted in veggie Baccto. The long term forecast does not predict temps below 40 for lows for over a month, but I know that is not reliable. I am thinking about planting them out (tomatoes, not peppers) and getting a frost cover and plastic to cover them up on the cold nights. I do have help that can uncover them in the morning if I cannot. Now for the pictures:

This last photo is of tomatoes and peppers that have been out in 40-80 degree temps for over a week. They are my experimental bunch I guess you could say as they are all my extras. I appreciate any and all feedback. Thanks!

Dawn

Comments (3)

• digdirt2
    9 years ago

Good info from Trev - another transplanting is needed for those plants as they are very likely already getting root bound in those cells. And based on the info you posted about dates it would at least another month from now before you could safely transplants the tomatoes and another 6 weeks for the peppers - depending on the weather of course.

Otherwise they are looking good - just crowded.

Dave

• lexiegurl09
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you for the feedback. I have never had seedlings this healthy before so this is a whole new learning curve for me lol. So I will likely pot up again either tomorrow or by mid week next week. Do you think Solo cups would be large enough to sustain them until transplant time or do I need to get something a little larger? I am trying to get them less crowded, work in progress :)

Also, I have a cold frame built. It is made of wood and has a glass screen door as the top. Is this something that could be reasonably used for my tomatoes to be placed in say about March 30 until I can transplant them into the garden? The only other time I used the cold frame was in 2012 when I had large seedlings, but that was an expectionally warm year for us and frost just wasn't a concern that year (just the hailstorms...). BTW, I would only put them in the cold frame once they have been hardened off adequately.

If this is not a good option, I can still keep them inside but the hours of lighting would probably have to be reduced to about 8-9 hours a day instead of 12 because I would have more flats to rotate under my lights. I only have 2 light sets that are 4' long, but placed together to be wide enough to cover the whole flat. I've never had this problem, which is why I don't have more lights. That will be something I invest in next year though lol.

About my planting dates: those were frost dates I was able to find. I did notice I planted my tomatoes on April 26 last year though. According to the NC planting guide issued by the NC agriculture people they say tomatoes and peppers can be planted between 4/15-5/10 in eastern NC which is where I live. The only problem with that is I know it covers a large area with greatly varying frost dates. So I am thinking now to plant my tomatoes after 4/20 and peppers after 5/1. I think just for fun though I am going to pick 2-4 varieties I don't mind possibly losing and plant them out in the garden by 4/1 just to see what happens. I don't mind experimenting a little :)

Once again, thank you for your advice and recommendations! I truly appreciate it.

Dawn - zone 7B or 8 not sure, in eastern NC